Need for IEE ban on 'mains-tied' digital appliance clocks?

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it, my LG microwave has a clock, but whn you plug it in initially the screen just shows a steady single zero until you use the microwave or set the clock. There is nothing to force you to set the clock.

Thinking about it, my LG microwave has a clock, but whn you plug it in initially the screen just shows a steady single zero until you use the microwave or set the clock. There is nothing to force you to set the clock.
Same here. We've never set its clock. The OP could get a micro with a manual timer knob. But they aren't terribly accurate.

But on the gaz oven, the gas is isolated until you set the clock - but you only have to advance one minute and its done.

We have a ye olde ticking clock above the kitchen door, for those eventualities where we need to know the time. ;)

At work we have a ticking clock, claims its radio controlled, the other day it was an hour slow all day.

:rolleyes: :LOL:

troll.jpg

:oops:

Sorry...I forgot hairy!!

Sponsored Links
On our microwave the damn thing flashes until you do set the clock.

Makes a good reminder to turn it off too :D

My biology clock stopped 8 years ago, so very sorry if I am able to reply now, yes who needs a clock on cookers and microwaves, but timer for sure, so you know you can time a period when cooking, like say to make a jacket potato in a microwave, place a big spud on a plate and turn up the timer to around 8 minutes and go away and do something you need to, come back to a perfect hot jacket potato freshly baked in microwave, taste the same as one baked in an oven, and is much quicker and uses less energy than a conventional oven.

Needless to say the importance of timers in Microwave, I have had to chuck away 2 perfect microwave ovens over the last 15 years, because I tend to loaded more time to save me loading every time I wanted to use it for a few seconds, so once I loaded 30 minutes on the timer and left some sugary food (doughnut with jam!) to heat, next thing is I had forgotten it there, my smoke detector went off, and looked at the oven it is charred with thick black tar like substance from charred doughnut! foods containing sugars can really overheat much more , the remnants of that doughnut had defused well into the glass dish, that we had to throw in the bin, and bin the microwave as the strong smell of burnt food wouldn't go away each time we tried using it even after cleaning it many times, inside.

Last edited:
.. like say to make a jacket potato in a microwave, place a big spud on a plate and turn up the timer to around 8 minutes and go away and do something you need to, come back to a perfect hot jacket potato freshly baked in microwave, taste the same as one baked in an oven,
WRONG.

They are so not the same as one conventionally baked in an oven that either:

1) You have had all of your tastebuds and critical faculties surgically removed, or,
2) You are an idiot who can't tell a baked potato from septic roadkill, or,
3) You are a liar.

Needless to say the importance of timers in Microwave, I have had to chuck away 2 perfect microwave ovens over the last 15 years, because I tend to loaded more time to save me loading every time I wanted to use it for a few seconds, so once I loaded 30 minutes on the timer and left some sugary food (doughnut with jam!) to heat, next thing is I had forgotten it there, my smoke detector went off, and looked at the oven it is charred with thick black tar like substance from charred doughnut! foods containing sugars can really overheat much more , the remnants of that doughnut had defused well into the glass dish, that we had to throw in the bin, and bin the microwave as the strong smell of burnt food wouldn't go away each time we tried using it even after cleaning it many times, inside.
OK - strong evidence that you are a total idiot.

Who the **** sets a microwave timer for 30 minutes and wanders off leaving it running when it only needed a time measured in seconds?

And how can a timer be important to someone as stupid as that? You had timers, and yet still you destroyed two ovens (and may have twice been lucky to avoid a fire) by your braindead use of them.

Terrific comments, you deserve a MEDAL, keep those insults coming, you seem to suffer from dual personality, (also known as Mental Health Problems) for which we have so called professional psychiatrist, I will book you an appointment shall I at your nearest Mental Hospital.

BTW, that is why it is now a recommendation that everyone including prats like you should also fit a Fire Detectors, they are not just for cosmetic use I hope you get my point using the same language format that you like to use on others, you just proved yourself to be another complete idiot!

Last edited:
With an appliance which uses heat, there is often a need for the appliance to continue to be powered after it has done it's job in order to cool, disconnecting supplies to central heating and ovens can mean they will over heat and put stress on parts unnecessary. Since any IET regulations has to consider all aspects I can't see how they would ever ask for clocks to be removed. Specially on items which should not be unplugged.

I do see there is no clock on the washing machine, and dish washer, which can be programmed with a delayed start, so there is no need for a clock on the oven which also has a delayed start, my microwave can be programmed with a delay, intended to be used between power levels, but can be used else where.

With an oven or microwave when there has been a power failure you don't want them to auto turn on, and the clock can be used to stop that. Be it a radio, TV, video recorder, cooker, microwave, or central heating boiler there is at times good reasons to include clocks.

What annoys me is items which you expect to auto correct which don't with BST I have two mobile phones, one with sim card in did not update one without did, the weather station should update and did not, so you look at them and have not a clue about what time it is as you don't know if they have updated or not. Lucky I have one clock which is always set to UTC (was called GMT) for my radio log which around the world is always filled in using UTC so I could work out if clocks were at real time or on a war footing.

But clocks can say AM and PM so why not UTC or DST?

or even Z as in

Mar 24th 2017 17:23Z, last updated Friday, Mar 24th 2017 22:47Z

Google Zulu Time ( if you have time to spare )
I hate the military new word system, it has gone on for hundreds of years, bimbo for a walk etc. I understand that when the Greenwich Observatory closed that the name changed to Unified time constant, (UTC) and also why British Summer Time (BST) should be called daylight saving time (DST) in some countries I have worked in you have more than one time, in the Falklands there was camp time which was the real time for the country, there was a daylight saving time for Stanley of plus one hour to allow people to cut peat in the summer after work, and there was Mount Pleasant time which was plus two hours so the firm did not have to use lights on the job of building airport. And all in the same time zone. Plus UTC was also used.

The problem stems from world war when we used it first. Instead of simply telling workers we will be starting work at 9 am, 8am, 7am, 6am or any other time, they changed the whole country, since that time the Unions have made agreements which means before 7am or after 11pm means we are paid premium rate. So if you want workers to start before 7am without paying them more money you have to move the whole countries time. Of course the rules could be changed and in summer 6am is the earliest start time before shift allowance is paid and in winter 7am but that would be sensible so we don't do it.

In the Falklands the farm workers would be told by farm manager what hours were to be worked next day, he may say not much on do not turn in until 10 am or could say sheep drive turn in at 5 am. Some jobs need flexible time others don't. But it should be up to the employer and workers to decide, it should not be up to the government to say, having 3 to 5 hours difference between two countries is confusing, you want to know if you add 3 or 5 hours not have to look at the date to work it out.

UTC stands for Coordinated Universal Time. The sequence of the letters was a French/English compromise.

Terrific comments, you deserve a MEDAL, keep those insults coming, you seem to suffer from dual personality, (also known as Mental Health Problems) for which we have so called professional psychiatrist, I will book you an appointment shall I at your nearest Mental Hospital.
You may well feel insulted by having the truth about your attitude pointed out to you.

Go and find one chef, or any form of cookery expert, who agrees with you that microwaving them is a "perfect" way to bake potatoes.

BTW, that is why it is now a recommendation that everyone including prats like you should also fit a Fire Detectors, they are not just for cosmetic use I hope you get my point using the same language format that you like to use on others, you just proved yourself to be another complete idiot!
Oh, I see.

You are the one who has twice destroyed a microwave oven by putting in a high sugar item and then deliberately setting the timer for 30 minutes and going off and leaving it, and yet you are not to be considered an idiot.

Fair enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back