Need for IEE ban on 'mains-tied' digital appliance clocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new combi micowave/grill, and although it's a good piece of kit, was dismayed to see that even today these appliances are STILL being made with a builtin time-of-day clock which goes into an error condition if the power is ever disconnected.

Point of fact, a clock on a microwave oven serves no identifiable purpose anyway. It is a pointless gimmick. Those on conventional ovens may form part of a timer, and many of these suffer the same problem.

The issue here is that the presence of this clock effectively ties the appliance to the mains supply, making it impossible to isolate it for safety -or to save unnecessary power consumption when not in use.

Perhaps the next edition of the IEE regs could include a clause to the effect that 'Where a cooking/heating appliance features a realtime clock, the presence of this clock shall not impede the disconnection of the appliance from the supply when not in use."

Manufacturers would then have to comply, by either making the clock 'nonvolatile' or by removing it. Since removing the clock would in most cases be a simple firmware change to a microprocessor, it should not be an expensive mod.

I reckon this one item would be a lot more effective in promoting safety than most of the other plethora of electrical regs.

Basically the mains-tied digital clock is a piece of outmoded 1970's technology. It was a bad idea even in its heyday. It is still in-use because manufacturers can get away with fitting it, and it will continue to be fitted to new designs -and thus to cause avoidable electrical hazards- until legislators act to ban it.

Sponsored Links
Ok, how about having the 'clocks/timers' powered by a small durable battery, or do you want rid of the clock full stop ? ;)

Regards

Ed

Sponsored Links
I've often pondered, with battery/capacitor backup or evan atomic radio clock synchronising components relatively cheap, the fact that nobody, including high-priced "premium" brands like siemens etc don't fit them says to me they're not evan trying to make usefull products.

Trolling reported to moderators.

Good lord :rolleyes:

If you think that is trolling, you'd best stay out of the general discussion forum :LOL:

I don't have a clock in my kitchen, apart from the one on the microwave.
If it wasn't for that, I'd be late for work every morning.

If it bothers you that much, why not colour the little screen in with tipp-ex or something?

Oh, and on a more technical point, the IEE have NO concern what-so-ever with appliance design.

I've often pondered, with battery/capacitor backup or evan atomic radio clock synchronising components relatively cheap, the fact that nobody, including high-priced "premium" brands like siemens etc don't fit them says to me they're not evan trying to make usefull products.

Agreed, and I don't understand why they are still using such obsolete technology, unless it's that they have huge stocks of old chips.

Just bought a new combi micowave/grill, and although it's a good piece of kit, was dismayed to see that even today these appliances are STILL being made with a builtin time-of-day clock which goes into an error condition if the power is ever disconnected.
So?

The clock on a microwave oven serves no identifiable purpose anyway. It is a pointless gimmick.

We turn ours off at the socket when not in use. Turn it on, the LCD display lights up every single element, but it wouldn't make any difference if it displayed Err, or flashed 00:00, because we then press the buttons and twiddle the knob to get the time and function we want, and press start. We don't need to know what the time is to be able to do that.

When it goes beep beep beep we take the whatever out, find it's either too hot, or not hot enough (in which case we repeat the button pressing and knob twiddling until it is too hot).

Then we we turn it off.

If at any point during this we wonder what the time is we turn and look at the clock on the wall.

Those on conventional ovens may form part of a timer, and many of these suffer the same problem.
Only for people too thick to either work out in how many hours they want the oven to turn on or to remember how to set the clock.

The issue here is that the presence of this clock effectively ties the appliance to the mains supply, making it impossible to isolate it for safety -or to save unnecessary power consumption when not in use.
No it doesn't.

Turn it off. Turn it on. Set the clock if you really must. I'll bet once you've done that a few times you'll be able to do it in a few seconds.

Perhaps the next edition of the IEE regs could include a clause to the effect that 'Where a cooking/heating appliance features a realtime clock, the presence of this clock shall not impede the disconnection of the appliance from the supply when not in use."
Maybe they should use the type of clock that I suspect your post is... ;)

Manufacturers would then have to comply, by either making the clock 'nonvolatile' or by removing it. Since removing the clock would in most cases be a simple firmware change to a microprocessor, it should not be an expensive mod.
If you remove the clock, how would you have a timer?

I reckon this one item would be a lot more effective in promoting safety than most of the other plethora of electrical regs.
I reckon you're barmy.

Basically the mains-tied digital clock is a piece of outmoded 1970's technology. It was a bad idea even in its heyday. It is still in-use because manufacturers can get away with fitting it, and it will continue to be fitted to new designs -and thus to cause avoidable electrical hazards- until legislators act to ban it.
If your cooker represents an electrical hazard when left connected to the supply it's time to replace it.

dispite the fact that this topic is crap i will answer it.

-no battery backup: the battery would be knacked by the time it was used, ok a lithium battery could be used but still in the past 10 years Ive experienced 1 powercut (i know some people get them often but they are the minority)

-business - you remove £1 of cost from a microwave, sell a million microwaves -you get the idea. how many more would you sell with the cbackup clock, hmm.

-capacitor -a wet cap would be an idea, but here lays another problem the circuit most likely gets its timing off the mains so you would also need additional clock circuitry -more cost

-why have a clock at all -because the circuitry is already there (microprocessor display etc) so it doesnt cost anything to have it, some people use there microwave clock to tell the time, it would be more of a loss to loose it that a problem to have it and not read it.

-energy wastage -old microwaves can use a fair bit, newer stuff shouldnt -anybody fancy measuring it. the clocks usage itself is insignificant the only issue is any wasted energy from an inefficient standby.

Just from a hygine point of view, we unplug our microwave oven at least once a month to clean the worktop underneath.

I dont think we've ever set the clock of even had the need to use the time-delay functions that the microwave oven has....

Baked beans only take a minute to hot up...

I still can't understand why Eddy is a troll.

True, he's short, fat & ugly, but it's a bit unfair to call him a troll...

Only kidding, Eddy!! ;)

:rolleyes: :LOL:

troll.jpg

:oops:

It`s nowt to do with IEE (IET) and Wiring Regs are not mandatory anyway.
A solution might be a Rugby clock (Radio Controlled) so ikt would set to the correct time at switch on

It bugs me when after a power cut you have to set th clock before being able to cook the dinner! This is often not a straighforward task (specially with mine, as of the two buttons you need to press at the same time, one of them is a little on th tempramental side!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back