need help consumer unit hot tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a very basic knowledge about electrics but i want to do first fix myself and source the items needed myself ready for a spark to just come and do final fix
should work out cheaper(ebay)lol

basically i live in a house its 5 years old so all wiring up to date with rcd
ect and have built a watertight building at end of garden for a hot tub
the room will consist of a lighting circuit 10 low volt spots an outside light
5 sockets and the hot tub
i want to install a small consumer unit in the room so its seperate from the house

am i right in thinking the new consumer unit can be looped from the unit in the house?
in the new consumer unit what breakers will i need the hot tub is 45amp 240v 50hz
ive done a quick search for this breaker but got confused as different types 3 pole ect havnt a clue about this any one help?
also i think im right but want verification from the new cu i run a 6mm armoured cable to an isolator then to the tub any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I'm afriad it looks like you don't currently have enough knowledge to be able to do the job safely even with guidence from ourselves, I do not say this with malice, but its one thing to point a guy in the right direction to change a ceiling rose, or to answer some technical questions from a guy who on the whole knows most of the answers but needs some further pointers, but unfortunatly taking a project like this on as a beginner to electrics is simply out of the question :(

you have no clue what you are doing, and your installing electrician will need to do, or at the very least design your installation as he is the one signing for it..

you don't mention the distance, but it it highly unlikely that the cable will be 6mm, possibly 10mm or more likely 16mm...

without seeing the run it's inpossible to say..

best you could do to "prepare" for the electrician would be to install a duct to run the cables to the hot tub room.. you'll likely need to run water out there too..

your best bet is to get a sparky in from the get go and let him do all the work..
your bits probably won't be any cheaper of ebay after delivery charges and your sparky will get a discount at his supplier anyway.. plus you get not warantee on ebay stuff..

im not looking to wire it up myself as i agree i dont have the experience but i dont want to anyway as at the end of the day its water and electrics
and not putting family at risk
im looking to get all cables in ready for a spark as some run through the house garage study ect under decking & underground (got to coredrill 2 external walls)
ive done first fix myself in new room (a spark told me what to do) with all ends coming out where consumer going to go /high level but need to install the armoured cable for hot tub before i put floor in hence asking for advice
also ive seen a couple of consumer units 5-6 way wylex for sale on ebay but when i search for a 45 amp breaker i dont get any results or look on screwfix and dont know which 1 it is i will employ a spark to do final fix but want to have all ready for him to be finished there and then

Sponsored Links
i have a 25mm armoured cable from the house to the room im a joiner by trade and 1 of the sparks gave it me as told him wot i was doing
its more than i need i know but it was free and told suitable

but that's the point, if you put the cables in for him then he cannot be certain that you didn't joint it in the middle or that you didn't put a spade through the outer sheath etc..
he will not legaly be able to sign the test sheet saying that he designed and installed the installation.. and won't be able to notify for you to get your building certificate for it..

i can show him the main cable to the consumer unit from the main house most of it will be clipped to garage wall through wall ingarage to study behind the plinth out the wall under the decking under the grass (astroturf) then into room can put soil in trench when done
i work on building sites when i have it all ready and built will get 1 of the sparks on job to come to my house and wire up as its quite a lot of cable to pull in and dont want to be paying alot in man hours so he can inspect it for certificate as for cable already done for the lights/sockets its only 7 metres long for sockets and lights so if he needed to he can use wires i put in for draw wires

i just want to know for now what type breaker is needed for the tub as on screwfix ect theres different ones thanx for replys

the hot tub is 5m away from any of sockets pic only 3rd of room as floor not fully in yet hence post
it is 25mm cable its 4 core i been told when got it that still o.k to use as dont use all cables?
can i put rcd on sockets? some poeple have mirror tvs in bathroom shaver sockets ect so there must be something that make it work?
this why i asking these questions so buy the right stuff

That doesn't look like a 25mm armoured coming out a the CU position?

You don't need armoured for the tub, assuming it is in the room?

If you can't get a Wylex 45amp MCB (many manufacturers do not do a 45amp), you would use a 50amp. You would calculate the cable size according to the tub loading, cable length, and the installation method (taking into account thermal insulation etc).

Do you know what sort of CU you need to buy? Have you thought about which or your circuits in the new room require RCD protection? Are you aware which circuits do? Have you considered this when searching the dear old ebay?

the hot tub is 5m away from any of sockets pic only 3rd of room as floor not fully in yet hence post just pic of run sockets
it is 25mm cable its 4 core i been told when got it that still o.k to use as dont use all cables?
can i put rcd on sockets? some poeple have mirror tvs in bathroom shaver sockets ect so there must be something that make it work?
this why i asking the question so buy the right stuff
as for the light switch is on a remote control so dont need to touch

Best bet is find a sparky now who will be happy to let you do the leg work. Agree with them where cables will run and what materials are required.

If you just go ahead and install all the stuff you will most likely struggle to get a spark to sign it off if they are not happy with it.

Have you considered what earthing method will be required for the room with the hot tub if you are going to have a water supply in the shed/extraneous conductive parts? What is your existing setup at the CU end?

These are all areas that you can sort now and make sure you get right as long as you speak to a spark before starting the work!

Where have the photos gone?

The way you have presented the SWA doesn't make it easy to terminate into the CU.

I would be VERY surprised if that cable is a 25mm 4 core! How easy did you find it to install? How heavy did you find it on a coil/drum? It is not the sort of cable you have 'left over' either :-/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back