Need help pretty quick with eletric box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I replaced some kitchen spotlights, however when I turned the eletric back on none of the lights work at all now? I heard something trip, so I pushed the small grey lever back up however still now working?

2wofv6b.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried pressing the yellow test button and then fully pushing the grey switch back up?

MCB's (the little grey leaver) are designed so if there is a fault you can't force it to reconnect even if you can put the lever up.

Likely you have still got the fault so it will not allow you to re-energise. You will need to turn it off to re-set once you have found the fault.

Sponsored Links
the new spotlights I put up I have now taken down again and left the wires hanging?

could that be the problem?

If yellow test button does not work that normally means no power coming into the house.

Putting wires each in it's own connector block should mean these wires will not cause it to trip but it will likely also remove the supply to all lights further down the radial.

If yellow test button does not work that normally means no power coming into the house.
If the RCD is already in its 'operated' state (it seems that it won't reset), the test button would obviously not do anything, even if there was power in the house.

Kind Regards, John

I heard something trip, so I pushed the small grey lever back up however still now working?
It is sometimes necessary to firmly push those levers all the way down before they will reset when you push the lever back up - have you tried that?

Kind Regards, John

the grey button tripped,the yellow buttom works, however lights still don't work, I've taken the lights down so just got the wires hanging so I'm guessing thats why the lights aren't working because theres live wires hanging and not in a connector?

this is how I wired it up

the earth cable had 2 wires with 2 ends in it?

2e3plrr.jpg

the grey button tripped,the yellow buttom works, however lights still don't work, I've taken the lights down so just got the wires hanging so I'm guessing thats why the lights aren't working because theres live wires hanging and not in a connector? ... this is how I wired it up
Where do those red and black wires which disappear into the ceiling go?

Kind Regards, John

I would guess those two wires go into a connector block. Have they been pulled out?
Quite so - whatever is on the end of those two unsheathed conductors could well have been given a yank - with goodness knows what consequences. It is clearly not a satisfactory state of affairs.

Kind Regards, John

this is how I wired it up

the earth cable had 2 wires with 2 ends in it?
That's 2 earth conductors, one from each of 2 cables.

And they should both be connected to the earth terminal of the light - why aren't they?

Not entirely clear from the pic: is the red wire connected to the brown ones and black to blue?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back