Need help wiring Occupancy PIR into Light circuit please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

Just after a bit of advice on wiring a PIR onto my hallway light. I got this

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-360-ceiling-standalone-surface-mounted-pir/80538

Seemed straight forward enough, then opened the light fitting. All the lights are on a loop. Could someone please let me know how to get this set up into the PIR. This hallway light just has one switch. I want to get the switch to turn on/off the PIR, and the PIR to control the light coming on and off.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The black wire with red sleeve needs to goto live in

The brown to live out

A neutral connected to where the blue is connected

Thank you, so if I place the PIR next to the existing rose, and take the black sleeved wire out and put it into the live on the PIR, take the brown from the wire that drops down to the bulb and put that in the live out and add a new bit of wire from the netural on the PIR and add that into the block where the black wires go, all should be good?.

Do I need to add a bit or wire from the earth on the PIR to the earth in the rose?.

This may not be as simple as it seems

Does the light have a switch that is used to turn it on and off ?

How does the PIR react to having power removed from it ?

It may be necessary to connect if the PIR has a power on sequence / settling period after being switched on.

1/ Loop Live in the rose to L in the PIR
2/ Neutral in the rose to N in the PIR
3/ Earth in rose to Earth in PIR

This will provide permanent unswitched power to the PIR

Then if the PIR is to be the ONLY control of the lamp then

/3 Remove Switched Live from switch (black with red sleeve) from the terminal in the rose and put into a piece of choc block terminal strip
/4 connect switche Live from the PIR to the Live to the lamp ( the terminal where the black with red sleeve was removed from )

If the switch is to be able to over ride the PIR to put the lamp ON then leave the black with red sleeve in the terminal and connect that terminal to the Switched Live in the PIR.

There are other options such the switch over riding the PIR to turn the lamp OFF

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the post. Yes, currently is a standard hallway light with a single on off switch. The instructions for the PIR say..

"The unit is suitable for connection to a 220 - 240v supply. It is suggested that a 3-core round flexiable cable 1mm gauge is used. An internal switch should be installed to switch the power to the unit ON & OFF. This allows the sensor to be easily switched off when not required or for maintenance."

I was hoping to just use the existing switch to switch on/off the PIR (say at night) and have the PIR controlling power to the light when required (motion detected).

Thanks for your time. Craig

It sounds like the way I suggested conforms with your requirements and the instructions.

You do however require a new cable between the rose and pir.
And a terminal block to go in the rose

You may find during the delay before the PIR activates guests to your house will flick the switch, not realising what they are doing. You would be better off linking the switch out. Either do this at the switch or at the rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back