Need help wiring these lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I bought lights from India, because they look very nice, but these came back pretty much unusable because the wiring isn't complete. Ideally, I'd like to keep them. They cost a fortune in shipping, and I'm really running out of patience. I've attached how they look on the back, but need help to wire the individual GU10 together. There are a total of 10 (picture only shows 4).

I've googled about and looked in the forum, but coming out unclear what I need.

So far, it looks like a simple daisy chain connection between lights is enough (as this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/9d/d0/e49dd0d20ce41574b5977b450258ec66.jpg) - I'm just not sure where the neutral earth wire goes.

Further, the GU10 connections are 2A 250V - is this fine for UK standards, or will I need to replace them?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20240525_164111.jpg
    IMG_20240525_164111.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That sketch plan you linked to does not show daisy-chain, it shows the lampholders wired in parallel, which would be correct for 240v lamps (and 2A is plenty for each individual lamp). If you are planning on using 240v lamps make sure all that metalwork is correctly earthed.
If you don't understand any of the words used above i'd suggest you get a professional in to sort the thing out- yes this is a DIY site but your questions indicate dangerous knowledge levels.

Hi, and thank you for the explanation. I think I'm fine (I'm not native English speaker, but I understand). I also see that I have made a mistake in my writing, I did mean earth, not neutral.

So, to add to my question above, how would I earth that?

Edit: I should also add that these will be installed by my builder at the end, so it will be reviewed before that go up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Adding a picture of the whole.

Attachments

• IMG_20240525_190320.jpg
    IMG_20240525_190320.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 60
the GU10 connections are 2A 250V
Standard for GU10 lampholders.

how would I earth that?
Individual ring terminals attached to each lampholder bracket at the locations highlighted in green:

IMG_20240525_164111.jpg

Those and the wires from the lampholders combined into 3 sets using additional insulated wires and closed end crimp terminals such as https://www.cablecraft.co.uk/nylon-closed-end-connector-cec1-1-25mm
you will then need a suitable terminal block attaching to the light somewhere so that the cable from the installation can be connected to it.
and then the whole assembly will need to be tested using the appropriate equipment as described in BS EN 60598-1.

None of that is DIY.

If the surface through which all those myriad of "clips" are protruding is metal, the luminaire will require Earthing in only one place.

Otherwise
Individual ring terminals attached to each lampholder bracket at the locations highlighted in green:
See https://www.screwfix.com/p/insulated-red-4mm-ring-crimp-100-pack/23174
plus
a "crimping tool" will be required

Also, they should be installed under a "lock washer".

GU10 Lamps are Twist-lock, designed for 120/230-volt halogen lighting - not 12 V

I appreciate everyone's help.

Was wondering if you could confirm this is right?

I'm thinking of getting this cable from Screwfix, along with other things you've mentioned above (ring crimp, end connectors, washers).:

Attachments

• is this right.jpg
    is this right.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back