Need new cooker, but only 13A socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My current single oven is dying, and I would like to get a new one.
It is currently just attached on a 13A socket on the ring main, and there is no practical hope of getting a dedicated radial from the CU (would require extensive wiring, and removing significant parts of the kitchen)

However many of the ovens I am looking at appear to claim an "Electrical Connection Rating" of more than 3Kw.

This appears to be more than I can use a 13A socket for. However reading this site most people suggest a single oven will fit on 13A.
Is this a case of a multi function oven adding up the rating of ALL the elements in the oven (top, bottom and fan), which cannot possibly all be used at once...?

Manufacturers info is of little use. e.g. Siemens Oven HB63AB551B claims a rating of 16A, 3650W, but has installation instructions with:
"Power Cable with a plug and earthing contact
The appliance must only be connected to a properly installed protective contact socket.
If the plug is no longer accessible following installation, an all-pole isolating switch must be present on the installation side with a contact gap of at least 3mm"

This implies to me that it comes with a power cable with a plug on the end. Note that the plug WOULD be accessible (this is how it is currently), so the latter part about an isolating switch is not relevant.

What I want to avoid is buying a new oven and then finding I cannot fit it to my existing supply arrangements.

Please advise

Neal

Sponsored Links
When you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker?"

A lot of ovens are manufactured for the European, rather than British, market, where socket outlets are rated to 16A rather than the 13A we have here.

The ovens you're looking at rated to 16A would ideally be fitted to a 16A radial circuit which it sounds like you can't or don't want to do.

If you keep looking you should be able to find a single oven which can be plugged in like your current one :)

Sponsored Links
A lot of ovens are manufactured for the European, rather than British, market, where socket outlets are rated to 16A rather than the 13A we have here.

The ovens you're looking at rated to 16A would ideally be fitted to a 16A radial circuit which it sounds like you can't or don't want to do.

If you keep looking you should be able to find a single oven which can be plugged in like your current one :)

Thanks, I had not thought of that. It now makes a lot of sense.

I have looked at some of the Neff schematics and not that the generic ones have a 2 pin plug on the cord, but the GB ones have bare wires on the end of the cord...

I will just have to find one at 3kW. Annoyingly it appears that it is top and bottom element ovens which go over the limit (though my current one has that feature, and is under). Don't use this feature often, but it is great for cooking pizzas

Thanks, I had not thought of that. It now makes a lot of sense.

I have looked at some of the Neff schematics and not that the generic ones have a 2 pin plug on the cord, but the GB ones have bare wires on the end of the cord...

I will just have to find one at 3kW. Annoyingly it appears that it is top and bottom element ovens which go over the limit (though my current one has that feature, and is under). Don't use this feature often, but it is great for cooking pizzas
I used to have a single Whirlpool oven which was under 13A. I'm fairly sure it had both top and bottom elements as well, though I got rid of it a couple of years ago now so may have remembered wrong!

In the same situation at the moment, Have been told that Hotpoint and Indesit still do 13A plug top single ovens.......

http://www.neff.co.uk/B15M42.html

67 litre useable capacity
Energy efficiency rating - A-20%
Total connected load 2.85kW

2,850 / 230 = 12.39 amps intermittently.

Been running similar for 17 yrs, replaced 1 internal lamp, re-fixed, door glass using adhesive readily available on-line, replaced plastic 'knobs' on timer. Nothing else.
My old model measures out at 2.6 kW when heating.

-0-

Curiouser and Curiouser

Just got an email back from Neff about this.
"The I E E Wiring Regulations, 17th Edition, (regulation 433.1.5) states that cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exceeding 2 kW should be connected to their own dedicated radial circuit. All our ovens are rated at minimum 2.2 kW and most are higher."

This seems very new to me. Anyone with bettwer knowledge of the regs care to comment?

And from an ebay seller selling the Neff B15P42 (3.6kW according to Neff)
"Q: Does this oven come with a 13A plug, or does it need to be wired into a dedicated cooker unit?
A: Thank you for your inquiry. Yes this does have a plug on it. "

Empip: thanks for the B15M42 links: yes this is the one I may end up buying. But it does NOT have the top/bottom heating I wanted. Looking at the brochure (link on the page you posted), it appears this feature is what tips them over into 3.6 kW (compare B15M62)

The wiring regulations rarely mention specific appliances as circuits can be designed to supply whatever you wish.

It is recommended that loads over 2kW be supplied by their own circuit (not because they need their own circuit, as such, but to remove them from the socket circuit) but this is not really possible in existing installations.

The key word is 'should'. It would be better if they were.

If the oven comes with a plug fitted then you can plug it in but a normal socket circuit (or part of it) could be overloaded when two or three heating appliances and other things are used at the same time (oven, kettle, wm, dw, iron, heaters etc.).

such fun
I hadn't noticed the should. So Neff's reply was not a great help (covering their bottoms).

However, I am wary of overloading the ring - kettle and toaster are on the same ring.

Annoying that all i want to do is replace 'like for like', but have yet to discover a 'like' with the same power comsumption

And looking further at that Neff spec, it has a 'fast warm up' feature. I wonder if this means they turn all the elements on at once to speed up pre-heating, and THAT is what bumps up the rating...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back