need to change programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Got a basic ch/hw vented and pumped system not a combi. with a 3 port motorised valve.

Need to change an old randall 3020p mk3 dial type programmer, are there any out there that assist in the change over, ie existing wiring, what goes where etc to the new programmer?. Is it ok to go digital?

thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
If you look on the danfoss site, they still list this model, so you could just get a new one if you want. There isn't a problem in changing to a digital style if you prefer. most of these go on to 'industry standard' backplates, so are easy to fit, but they can use different terminals for the wiring, but it's usually explained on the instructions that come in the box. Don't think you'll find it too hard.

danfoss are masters of the confusing product line; but the do do a bunch of stuff that is backwards compatible. I suggest you call their technical helpline and ask what will work out of the box.

Thanks chaps for your quick advice, sorry did,nt even consider getting in touch with randall/danfoss, supose you just assume that the majority of organisations are unhelpful! I was wrong, the guy there was very helpful and advised on the danfoss FP715 which also comes with a conversion chart!
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
oldfart said:
Thanks chaps for your quick advice, sorry did,nt even consider getting in touch with randall/danfoss, supose you just assume that the majority of organisations are unhelpful! I was wrong, the guy there was very helpful and advised on the danfoss FP715 which also comes with a conversion chart!
Thanks again

screwfix sell them i think.

thanx for that slippy, works out at around £36.00, just as a note of interest I found out that The Plumb Centre (recommended by danfoss)
still sock the old mechanical 24 hr job £50.00 :confused:

Hello,i'm new and after some advice please!

I have exactly the same problem as oldfart.My mechanical Randall 3020p has stopped working and I would like to replace with a digital timer too.After reading this thread i can see a FP715Si is recommended and i am more than happy with that as it looks just what i want.I too have pumped central heating,not combi.

If the old fart is still checking this thread, or anyone else please I would be really interested to know how easy it would be to replace the controller. My other half is experienced with wiring etc (telephone engineer)and also has done DIY (nothing major!) but we aren't experienced with wiring for timers etc,how straight forward is it???

Any comments would be appreciated,and is this a suitable replacement for me or is there better out there?I don't want another mechanical one.

Thank you,M

the 715 is what you want not the 715si (service interval) unless you confirm the si code needs to be activated as it needs a reset code or your clock will stop working in c360 days if the code is not input, these were designed for social housing landlords to encourage/make hard access tenants let the engineer in to service the boiler (and reset the timer to shut off again next year) it isn't a prob using this but you will need a RGI who has the reset code (manufacturer won't supply it to non RGI) to reset it next year, so far easier to go for the 715, if your partner has wiring experience i would suggest it should be ok to do, but bear in mind 240v will kill!!

I was a lazy sod and have left my old Randal in line put the water and heating on constant and have changed the room stat to a 7 day programable digital one :LOL:

Tony

I don't want one of those service code ones!!! Can you get a 715 as they all seem to have 'si' after them?

I'm afraid i can't be a lazy s** as I don't have room stats,just thermostats on the radiators.

All 715's are the Si version now, but don't worry about the service interval.

They are supplied with this de-activated and you have to send Danfoss proof that you are a a RGI before they release the code to activate it.

I fit them all the time.

All 715's are the Si version now, but don't worry about the service interval.

They are supplied with this de-activated and you have to send Danfoss proof that you are a a RGI before they release the code to activate it.

I fit them all the time.

So they can be fitted fine without the code,and as long as I never activate the code it will continue to work?
That leaves me flexability to have my heating serviced when I want to, I don't want to wake up one morning, freezing cold as I have forgotten to get it serviced on a certain day!

Just a quick update. We fitted a 715 a couple of weeks ago and are delighted with it. The thought of changing it was much more daunting than it actually was.

I looked up the instructions of my old mechanical timer on the danfoss site, made sure all the wiring was where I expected, marked the wires and simply swapped them over following the wiring chart. AFTER TURNING OFF ALL THE POWER OF COURSE.

It was a little fiddly but I love the controlability of the digital timer and wish i'd done it years ago.

Thanks for your help fellas.
M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back