Need to make loft access hole bigger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm looking to install a small water cistern into a loft space however the entrance to the loft is only 0.4 by 0.35 meters 350mm). its not enough to get the cistern through. Is their any way i can make this bigger without weakening the ceiling? I assume if i cut a joist, the ceiling will lose strentgh and i will be unable to walk on it? The loft hatch is currently inbetween two walls which are about 1 meter apart.

I need to increase the size of latch to about 800 x 800mm

here are some photos on the loft access and pics taken of joists inside loft.

Im a decent diy'er so was hoping with a bit of advice, i'd be able to safely carry out this work without weakening the ceiling. However I have almost no experience working on loft beams etc so dont really know what type of fittings are what, what different joists may be called etc!

But once explained i'm confident I can get this done myself

Sponsored Links
Disclaimer, I'm just a DIYer too - but I have plans to enlarge a loft hatch in the near future.

You can entend along the joints without problem - ie your hatch is between two joints and (within reason) you can extend as long as you want. You are still restricted to a little under the gap between two joints (typically around 550mm or it could be less).

If you need to go wider, then you have to cut into a joist and that needs careful consideration. Typically the joists tie the opposite sides of the pitched roof together, stopping the eaves pushing apart and the ridge dropping. It may be that a single joist can be cut without a problem, but that would depend on there being enough strength in the timbers to pass the loads across to the joists either side - OR adding sufficient strength to replace what you've taken out. I would suggest that's not something to be done without expert advice.

I take it the tank can't be squished a bit to fit through a narrower hole ? Or alternatively, can you use two interlinked tanks ?

Thanks Simon for the reply.

I need to increase the length by about 30cm.

However i need to widen by about 40cm, so i will need to cut into a joist, to get the tank to fit.

Below the loft latch, there is a wall either side, as its in a corridor.

Im really not sure if i should cut the joist or not. But without cutting it, theres no chance of getting the tank up there :(

any further advice will be much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back