need to paint cladded ceiling...help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I'm in the middle of moving house, and I'm starting to make plans for redorating the rooms. Most will be straight forward, paint and carpet. But one of the rooms has got a varnished timber clad ceiling.

10590_38763_2884_IMG_04.jpg

I don't like it much, but i really can't be bothered to take it all down and put plaster board. I was just thinking i could paint it white.
What would be the best/easiest way to do this? Do I need to primer it first then a coat of ceiling paint, or will it need something else beforehand for the white paint to be applied properly?

Cheers for your help....
PS - Actually, would it really be that much work if i did take them all off and nailed on plasterboard, with a bit of filler for the gaps, and then some paint...? Or would that look a bit iffy? The idea is starting to grow on me as that way i could get rid of the big eyeball spotlights and put in nice halogen ones.

Sponsored Links
To make the ceiling half decent it will need rubbing down and a coat of primer, then two coats of undercoat and finally a coat of gloss or satin.
If your going to take the wood down why would you need to reboard it? Is it so bad underneath that it cant be filled and painted. not best ever to board over the existing ceiling, longer screws needed etc. joints will always show if not platsered properly.

Id go for supergrip primer or some sort of melamine primer or Zinser..

But dont forget to knot the knots before you paint.

A really good rub down is important though.

Rather you than me.. :mad:

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your replies,

I assumed that the cladding had gone straight on to the joists. Never really thought that the original ceiling could be behind it. In which case i would just neaten up and paint over.

I guess i'll find out when we eventually move in...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back