Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Existing:

Controlling the dishwasher.

I need to replace with something like this

but, obviously, not switching a cooker.

What would such a faceplate be called, as I only know them as cooker switches (so am struggling in my search).

I don't want "cooker" written on it, and for all I know, a cooker one might be electrically wrong for switching a dishwasher.

Help appreciated (y)

Sponsored Links
Cooker Control Units are not designed to be wired into a ring final or radial socket circuit.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I want a socket (in addition to the existing switch for the dishwasher).
Currently, there is nowhere to plug a kettle in (in this part of the kitchen).
If your fused connection unit is fed from a ring final or radial circuit, you can leave it where it is and tap off it with another cable to feed an adjacent socket.

If it's a spur off a ring final, you can't tap off it for another outlet without fusing the whole spur cable down to 13A.

Change it to a double socket, and put a plug on the dishwasher cable?

If you have a single back box for the FCU, you could even use a single to double socket converter?

If it's a spur off a ring final, you can't tap off it for another outlet without fusing the whole spur cable down to 13A.
OP - you could rewire with 4mm from the starting of the original spur to the end. This will allow you to add another socket off the existing spur.

Assuming the DW plugs in below - Just swap the FCU for a socket; you don't have to have a switch or a fuse above the worktop.
Although that's electrically safe and compliant with regs (Assuming it's not fed by a 2.5mm² spur from a 32A ring) it's not something I like, particularly if the DW socket isn't easy to get to.

If the existing FCU is on a ring then it would be perfectly acceptable to fit that cooker switch in its place to control the 13A socket by the DW. As it isn't marked 'Cooker' a dymo label can be added but even better get it engraved - many wholesalers may have a contact for a company or use google or yellow pages if you still have one :cool:

Last edited:
Cooker Control Units are not designed to be wired into a ring final or radial socket circuit.
Cookers are not supposed to be wired to a socket circuit but accessory plates with a switch and a socket can be if used for other purposes, IE:
Controlling the dishwasher.

I need to replace with something like this

but, obviously, not switching a cooker.
the plate in the link doesn't appear to be labelled so no reason it should not be used for OPs purpose connected to the socket circuit, as the existing FCU presumably is (but we don't know yet), especially if he labels it DISHWASHER,.

I guess the obvious questions are

Is that existing fused switch on a radial or ring circuit?

Does the dishwasher have a plug on it or does it connect to an outlet plate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back