Need Upgrading? (with pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I visited my in-laws over christmas. They think they may need some work on their electrics!!

I opened the cupboard and was greeted with this......
Overview.jpg

They have fairly recently had the meter updated, but I was surprised it was connected up to some VIR feeding the CU's. Where the new henleys have been installed, the VIR has been bent to fit in, resulting in the outer covering breaking.
Henleys.jpg

The earth arrangement also seems a bit strange. It appears to be a black cable coming straight from the overhead line.
earth.jpg

The supply pole is in a field right outside the back door.
supply.jpg

The wooden board that the CUs are mounted on isn't actually attached to the wall. There is no CPC on the lighting circuit either, with the old round bakerlite switches.

My contribution to the "worst install" competition!!

Sponsored Links
Jesus Christ.

I'd rip the whole lot out, from the Henley blocks onwards.

That pole pig looks to supply your house and a couple more (cables going down pole underground to other homes?)

Thinkgs I can see in the first picture alone:

Most circuit CPCs and internal single insulated cores exposed.
VIR meter tails coming from henley blocks wrapped in tape for good measure.
Multiple circuit cables coming from a single way switchfuse.
Live and neutral going through seperate holes on the metal cased switchfuse - possibility of eddy currents.
Multiple cables coming from a junction box, also supplied by multiple cables - this rings alarm bells straight away. There must be 6 live cores there, what sort of circuit is this?!
Ageing and decaying distribution panels, with possibly defective switching mechanisms.
NO RCD protection.
Inadequate or no main bonding.
Inadequate or no earthing.
Unknown condition of circuit wiring, other than ageing accessories and lack of earthing on lighting circuits (class 1 or 2 fittings in use?)
Poorly terminated main earth.
Badly mounted panels.

Its just awful.

Sponsored Links
And I said APP EAR ;) :LOL:

Wester Power - My area........(still a large area!). Where is it to?

WPD have done some work in the last couple of years - They have the L1 and N yellow tape which they began using at the time of colour change.

And I said APP EAR ;) :LOL:

Wester Power - My area........(still a large area!). Where is it to?

WPD have done some work in the last couple of years - They have the L1 and N yellow tape which they began using at the time of colour change.

OP said meter had been changed recently - now in the days of the old leccy boards they probably ouldn't have re-energised

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back