Needs an earth or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instructions say requires an earth, but the terminal block is fully enclosed and the earth isn't really earthing anything, also it has the class II symbol.
Thoughts? Or is this par for the course for decorative light fittings?
IMG_20171105_173946.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's confusing.

As you may have noticed, there are a lot of metal light fittings now which are supposed to be Class 2, and do NOT have an earth terminal.

Is the cable within the fitting sheathed?

I see it has one of those awkward enclosures for the terminals.

IDEA; I suppose at least the earth connection makes it safer to remove the awkward enclosure, perhaps??

Thanks for the reply, at least it's not just me confused!
Having thought about it more, I suspect it was class I when designed but someone realised it wasn't earthed properly, so they changed to that enclosed terminal block in a revision and didn't remove the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if that counts. Isn't that just to hang the lamp?

I think there should be a clamp in the connector block; there's just a grommet, isn't there?

Oh I see what you mean, there's not something I'd call a cord grip but there's
15099107483737333964738244329448.jpg
15099109839508581393722411297514.jpg

Sorry realised that after I posted, see my edit!

No strain relief it's just sleeved but both are fixed to the ceiling.

Well, it clearly has an earth so maybe it just means the lamp is class 2

or

opposite to what you said, maybe they thought that was class 2 but have been told it isn't and have fitted an earth wire.

Good theory, unfortunately there's so much paint on the casing I'm not sure the earth will be working, so their extra earth connection won't be doing much.
Do you reckon I should be cleaning of the paint in that case?

Well, it clearly has an earth so maybe it just means the lamp is class 2

or

opposite to what you said, maybe they thought that was class 2 but have been told it isn't and have fitted an earth wire.
Or, given that it was manufactured in PRC, perhaps they just copied all the markings that were on a fitting that was Class II?

Good theory, unfortunately there's so much paint on the casing I'm not sure the earth will be working, so their extra earth connection won't be doing much.
Do you reckon I should be cleaning of the paint in that case?
I think the star washer should do that but if it's an afterthough perhaps you could clean off a bit of paint.

I'll clean off the paint! thanks EFLI for your patience especially!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back