Neff oven tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after a bit of guidance/confirmation really.

I've got a Neff B1422N0GB/03 oven. On a whim we used the cleaning function, water in the bottom of the oven, switch it to auto-clean etc.

Since then it has been tripping the RCD as it heats up. The rear element seems to heat up, but I thought perhaps that was shorting as it heats.

I did initially think it was damp inside, but having left it with the door open for a day or so, the problem remains...

But, I then put the grill on instead and as that heats up it also trips, which made me suspect the thermostat.

However, having set the temperature to just below 50 degrees, by turning the temperature dial I can get the stat to flick on and off without it tripping out...

So now I'm a bit confused as to where the cause might lie.

Of course, if the rear element was on when the grill was in use, that might point me back to my original thought?

Can anyone offer any advice or pointers? What I'm trying to avoid is randomly swapping parts in the hope they fix it...

Sponsored Links
You can prove or eliminate the thermostat & the wiring by disconnecting the cables to the elements & insulating them temporarily & then switching on. Reconnect one at a time to find out if one or both then cause the rcd to trip. Unless it started to happen immediately after the cleaning process then I think it is an unlikely cause, as element insulation breaking down & tripping RCDs is a common fault.

Thanks for that JJ - I'm sort of nearly certain it was the cleaning just because the next time it was switched on it tripped.

I did find a thread by another chap on here from a while ago that had a similar ish problem after cleaning but I don't know how he resolved it in the end :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Just a small update in case anyone is interested...

The oven runs fine on "Fan only". I've had a 3kw heater blowing in there for about two hours but when I put the heat on the oven it still trips.

I don't know if this means the element is permanently damaged by the water or what at this stage, or I suppose I need to accept that coincidence does exist and the elemnt has packed up at exactly the same time as cleaning it... :(

[Edit] At the risk of "blogging" I've continued to think about this, I left the oven door open to ventilate for a good few hours.

Earlier on I put the grill on, set the temperature at 25 degrees for 5 minutes, then slowly upped it to 50 degree, and left it for a good 20 mins and it ran fine.

I then, started to nudge the temperature up towards 100 degrees. After a couple of minutes on 100 it tripped again.

Put the power back on, set the temp to 50 and it tripped again :confused:

So it seems while it's still hot or gets hot, it trips.

So, now I'm thinking it isn't both elements at fault it's something else, perhaps a thermal cut out? but would that trip the RCD or just shut the oven down..?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I don't have a solution I'm afraid, but just to let you know we have exactly the same problem now and it happened a year ago as well.

A year ago we cleaned our Neff double oven with the cleaning function and straight afterwards it tripped the electricity when heating up. It was fine at around 100 degrees but any hotter it tripped. However, it gradually got better and after about a week worked fine. It has caused us no further problems for over a year.

For some reason we forgot about the problems we had a year ago and cleaned it again yesterday, and yet again, it trips the electricity as soon as it gets to around 150. The top oven works OK, it is just the fan bottom oven.

Hopefully it will just start working again after a while.

Our experience is very similar, I left the oven alone for about 5 weeks, we tried it again and now it's fine so it was clearly water in the chassis somewhere.

Now it works pefectly and the wife is under strict instruction not to use the stupid circotherm clean cycle thingy ever again! :D

My Neff U1722 has just suffered the same sequence of events.
Now trips RCD after cleaning cycle, does anyone know how to resolve this rather than just wait. I've thought of placing some silica gel bags in the oven to absorb the moisture but any tried and tested methods would be a great help

Update

Top oven all works okay.

Bottom oven will work on just fan but trips straight away when heat selected.

Removed bottom oven element and still trips when heat selected I'm not sure if this has ruled out the element being faulty or not ?

The element has continuity and resistance from one terminal to outer element is infinity so guess the element is good.

Removed the earth from oven feed and all works okay.
Reconnect earth and trips bottom oven only.

Disconnected the element under the bottom oven and now doesn't trip.

Tested resistance on element and was okay test for earth leak and got OL
so I guess the element is also good so must be water ingress at the bottom of oven.

Removed base plate to inspect but tightly packed with insulate and it felt dry and I didn't wanna disturb it without needing to.

Going to run the oven for a period with the under oven element disconnected to see if it drys anything out.

Anyone know if that under oven element is used for ?

Is it just for cleaning or is it also used when cooking ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back