Neighbour requesting I move boiler vent installed pre 2002..

As requested -

To be honest the boiler is pretty much right up against the inside wall on the righthand side. It's under the worktop.

Of course, it may be the case that it shouldn't have been installed that close to the *internal* party wall? In that case... :(

Sponsored Links
Do you have any neighbours with a similar offset? If so how are their boundaries treated?

Whilst you are obviously a "nice" person, showing willingness to compromise in NOT the initial stance which is taken by litigation solicitors.

They make a very firm statement of their client's position as the opening move. That can frighten the other party to adopt a more reasonable position. The can always backtrack later.

Another pointer may be the coal bunker. Does this have a party wall inside?

If so does that party wall follow the line of the fence? If so then its probably time to capitulate.

Tony

heres one idea
tell your next door about boundary line and say you in writing from the previous owners thats the fence is wrong place
but if they can prove this is wrong then you happily pay to get new boiler in stuible place if they can`t
and still wish for you to move your boiler you are willing to compromise and have them pay for new system
may cause argument but i think you may be a that stage already

I had a similar situation many years ago...

- fell out with new neighbours who disputed the boundry, allow me to add the benefit of my experience
1/ contact as many ex inhabitants as you can and get a letter or statement from them as to where the boundary is.
2/forget land registry they are useless and have a "get out clause" effectively admiting the inaccuracy of their records.
3/ avoid solicitors if at all possible - they will bleed you dry! - simply present your neighbours with copies of the letters you obtained in point 1/ above and calmy state that you have no desire to fall out but if they insist then this is the evidence you will rely on. Leave this with them and make your exit. They will then hopefully come to their senses

....trust me - falling out with your neighbour is very bad for both your health and your wealth!

The very best of luck

Sponsored Links
I've read through most of the post with interest. If the fence is in the correct place, the boiler flue cannot be inspected or checked from your property. This is clearly an unsafe situation. You either have a boundary dispute or you have to rectify a safety issue with your boiler.

I've read through most of the post with interest. If the fence is in the correct place, the boiler flue cannot be inspected or checked from your property. This is clearly an unsafe situation. You either have a boundary dispute or you have to rectify a safety issue with your boiler.
i would not say it safty issue as you can walk back till you can see the hole lot and my fga could reach it

Really ? How would you classify it on a Landlords if you had to sign your name to it.
What if the neighbour stands loads of stuff on the coalbunker and builds up the fence to its maximum height obscuring view and safe access.
Got to be at risk.

Is there anything you can derive from the coal bunker on where the original boundary lies? Whats the first floor like? does that have an offset? Got any chimneys on roof in party wall? Got any pictures of the rear of the building? Funny floor plan but still reckon you are going to have to shift it.

Elkato can you tell me how you inspect a flue terminal in a tower block/tenament building or even a GC1 .
It is not classed as an unsafe situation as you say

Thanks once again for all of your input; which ever way this goes I'm grateful (and facinated) about everyone's views and knowledge.

Someone asked for a picture of the back of the property. You can't see the other side of the fence of course, with the flue. But it's about 18 inches from the fence, wire grate covering in.

I was also asked about the coal bunker; this is in fact divided into 2 - so there could be an argument that *this* is the party wall :( When this was done of course no-one has any idea. Does that sound likely?

Anyway - pictures!

Elkato can you tell me how you inspect a flue terminal in a tower block/tenament building or even a GC1 .
It is not classed as an unsafe situation as you say
me i just cannot follow flue route recommend co detctor

Namsag, the high level situtions can be seen even from a distance and it is very unlikely that an obstruction not apparent on inspection would impede the flue. This is a low level (boiler under worktop) installation where the responsible person has no control over what may be placed or stored on or near the flue. If I came across this while working I'd be contacting GSR for clarification just to cover my own a$$e. Even if it is not AR, I bet it does not follow MIs and is therefore NCS. Whatever the official classification, I would not be happy with the situation and would inform the customer in writing of my concerns if only to cover myself.

If the OP can sort out the boundary position so that he has control over the flue then the situation is altered.

Having just looked at your picture's the fence just doesn't look right to me it's too close to your window. Another clue is the downpipe which is right over on your neighbours side this is most likely the central divide between your properties one downpipe will be on the front another on the back both are usually dead centre with one property being responsible for the front one and one the back one.
I've noticed the soil pipe too and wondered if this is leading to your bathroom or is it just a vent?
The properties seem to be of a chalet type, not sure if this has any bearing on things though.
Someone at sometime has put up a fence in the wrong place and all as been well for quite a few years until another factor came into play.
It's certainly created a tangled web for you but for me the blame lies with the person who erected that fence thinking it will never matter many years ago!

To be fair when the fence was erected it was done with nothing but happy spirits! The previous owners (of both properties) got on famously, and they have been nothing but EXTREMELY supportive during this crisis.

You know what it's like; you don't intend for things to get sticky at any point. So yeah no challenges against them - they're LEGENDS.

ddm*

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back