Neighbour stealing my electricity - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electricity meter is located in the property below me (actually my freeholders building site) and having suspected they are tapping into my supply I arranged for a visit from EDF Connections department. The inspector from EDF gained access to the site below and confirmed my supply is being tapped into but will not take any action because the tampering is after the meter and therefore they are stealing from me not EDF. Not suprisingly I am banned from the site by the corrupt developer and his cowboy builders. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
It's stealing, I'd ask the inspector for something in writing. Get a solicitors letter and a bill for what you feel is the loss and forward the lot to the developer.

7 days notice of intended court action should rattle the cage and get a result outside of the court system.

Theft of electricity is a specific crime, so as stated contact the police to deal.

Sponsored Links
Surely your energy provider has to install a meter at the threshold of your property in order to bill you?

Contact the police - theft is theft end of story.
True, but even a successfull criminal prosecution would not necessarily result in the op's financial loss being compensated, so (s)he'd probably be advised to get a solicitor on the case as well.

Kind Regards, John

Did the EDF representative collect any evidence such as photographs?
I've known of cases like this before and, as the op implied, the DNOs and suppliers often seem to show absolutely no interest in what is happening beyond the meter, so I suspect the answer is no. Provided the supplier is getting paid for all the metered electricity, they do not seem to care who is using it - which I suppsoe is in some senses reasonable. However, I would have expected the siting of meters to be such that this sort of crime was much more difficult - as is the case when an internal meter is within the user's premises.

Kind Regards, John.

Many thanks for relpies. I have written to EDF Connections Dept requesting written confirmation of their inspectors findings. We were not able to get photographic evidence before we were kicked off the site. I will drop by my local police station later and see if anyone there will take any notice but not holding my breath on that one... I will also contact CAB as there are a number of issues with this developer. I cant believe what people can get away with in a developed country.

Surely your energy provider has to install a meter at the threshold of your property in order to bill you?

Don't know the rules on "has to" but I've frequently come across sites where the meter and even the CU for a flat or office are behind locked doors in the basement flat/office. Bad organisation when the building was converted or the letting was arranged. I haven't come across any cases of electricity theft, but more inconvenient have bene the cases of the RCD tripping out and no access to the CU to reset it!

PJ

If the building site "management" agreeable to electricity being stolen then it is likely they will also be lax in ensuring other regulaltions are being adhered to on site. Possibly even contraventions of health and safety laws such as un-safe electrical supplies to the site.

A mention to the Health and Safety Executive might lead to a site inspection where the illegal electrical connection will be found.

You could ask EDF to fit a pre payment card meter then keep the amount of credit in it as low as possible during the day, whilst your out at work, then top it up with a couple of pounds when you come back at the end of the day. This way, if they want electricity when your not at home, and the meter runs out, their technically bu**ered as they won't have a card that can be used in your meter. If you have a pre payment meter, they can't deny you access to it for topping it up either.
As other posters have said though, if the developer is using your electricity, it's theft and I can't see them kicking a policeman off the site, investigating theft of electricity. ;) ;)

Kapenta,

In the face of such needlessly shameful behaviour (it's not like they are starving or desparate afterall), I would take the following approach.

Utilising the quietness of dusk I would lift some floorboards (you are above yeh..) and punch a small hole through the ceiling, maybe 40mm in diameter. I would then leave water running overnight til at least 7am.|However try to make sure the water 'jets' towards the floor and does not leave obvious water damage in the ceiling as this will likely lead back to you. Who's to say how the hole got there! A more sure fire approach is to look for an open window downstairs and do the same via that.

Top tip would be to do this after any laminate/wood flooring had been laid!!

I would not normally adopt such a tactic, but I feel sometimes there is justification.

Alternatively, contact as others have suggested and probably get no where. If they are willing to do this they are unlikely to be co-operative with 'small change' legal letters IMO.

Either way hope you sort it.

Get a check meter fitted, prove your useage and then watch EDF change their tune when you pay for only your own useage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back