Neighbour's extension drains onto my garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour's extension has gutters but no downpipe, hence the rain just sits in the gutter and then overflows onto my adjoining garage. This appears to be by deliberate design.

The neighbour's roof, gutters and fascias were renewed last spring. My neighbour says the contractor just copied what was already there, which I am inclined to believe, since a picture of the old gutter (from 2006) shows the same obvious low point at exactly the same place. Previously I had assumed this was just an old sagging gutter, but now I see it is by design. I have started paying attention to this as I am about to have my garage roof replaced.

The question is, what can I do? I know who the contractor is, and it seems to me that his work ought to have followed building regulations, which he doesn't seem to have done. I don't want to cause any undue problems for my neighbour, who may have inherited the original problem when he bought the property, but surely the contractor is at fault here?

2.jpg5.jpg1.jpg4.jpg3.jpg6.jpg

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't run on to your roof. Ask your neighbour to add a down pipe draining on to their own soakaway or similar. Looks like long term damage to your roof and wall (certainly excess wear and tear)

Only thing that I can think is that the neighbour may have acquired some kind of right because the gutter drained onto that area for a given period of time? I am no expert.
However any good neighbour would rectify the situation

It shouldn't run on to your roof. Ask your neighbour to add a down pipe draining on to their own soakaway or similar. Looks like long term damage to your roof and wall (certainly excess wear and tear)

My neighbour has in principle agreed to add a downpipe, although he hasn't yet acknowledged that the gutters will also need to be repositioned with the correct fall.

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt of thought they would gain a right just because their gutter is installed incorrectly and overflows onto your roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back