draining into my neighbour's guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to re-roof and hence "water-proof" my garage. Currently it's more of a lean-to with an opening at the rear of the roof to provide access to a downpipe that takes rainwater into a drain inside the garage. In order to avoid having to move the drain (and hence reduce cost) I'm thinking of rerouting all guttering from the main roof into an alternative drain at the rear of the property and persuading my neighbour to let me drain rainwater from the garage roof into his gutter that's literally cm's away.

Before I enter into that conversation can you think of any good reason he may have to say no? (forewarned is forearmed afterall).

Sponsored Links
Seeing as you've no lawful right this kind of thing can create allsorts of grief when one of you comes to sell. :idea:

Sponsored Links
My neighbour on the other side drains a small first storey sloping roof into my gutter already. Really I just wondered whether there was any rational reason why somebody would care.

Connected dwellings, i.e terraced or semi detached homes often share the collection and handling of the rainwater.

This does not mean that because they are lower than you terrain wise that you have carte blanche over how you drain your water towards people who are down stream.

All homeowners are encouraged to collect and drain rain/storm water upon their own property.

To do otherwise may be construed as criminal.

As a result of draining into his guttering, his soakaways or drains might become overloaded and then flood. If that happens, and the overspill causes him damp problems, or worse, he might look at you as the cause of the problem.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back