Water from neighbour’s garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garages are immediately next to each other. House is 1930s build. Neighbours is original with corrugated asbestos roof that slopes towards my garage, the roof of which is higher and is flat. The runOff water drains to the back of my garage into water butts on my land. My garage was knocked down and rebuilt in 1985. Before building started and with the happy agreement with the then neighbours, guttering was installed to drain water away from our new garage wall. Over the years two other families have lived in the property and current neighbours arrived in 1993 and, until after my husband died in 2008, nothing has been said about problems with water ingress into their garage. In 2012 neighbour said water was coming into their garage and it “must be because of the guttering which they wanted to take out.” I said it’s your guttering, but I can’t have water running down my (unrendered breeze block - no space to render it) wall. When I got back from holiday a few months later and ill, the walls got damp and I found they had simply knocked the guttering off its brackets. Given they always claim they are skint, there’d seemed to me to be nothing I could do about it and I had other problems to deal with over a long period. Am I out of time to take action? They may be having a side extension built. Can I stop them from letting water run off from the possible new extension after all this time putting up with water from th current garage roof.? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, nobody has a right to let their rainwater drain off onto another persons land.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back