neighbours flue spurts out water over my back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a maisonette and have a new upstairs neighbour who hasnt moved in yet but is having building work done. Firstly the incompetent builder decided to drill the hole for the flue without warning me, and coming in from the garden with my dog i was showered with lumps of brick tennis ball size! Now the flue is in place directly above my back door, but obviously many feet above, and central heating working....... well everytime the heating is fired up water spurts from the flue and lands over my head at back door, during the day the puddle grows and grows....... They have put an overflow pipe in the bathroom which continually drips onto my water butt. So I am assuming that this shouldnt happen? The flue constantly blows out steam so I am assuming it is a condensing boiler? I dont want to fall out with new neighbour, but i am pretty sure it must be against building regs? Also in this cold weather the puddle outside my back door is in danger of icing up. Once the new occupiers move in the heating will be on more and more, not just when the builder wants it on, so the puddle will be growing larger and larger and I am in danger of getting a shower everytime I walk out my back door. The new neighbour has bought the property and I am an Orbit South housing tenant who has lived in the property for 33 years. Any advice would be helpful, thanks, Elizabeth

Sponsored Links
i have uploaded two photos showing how the water first starts then how much it gets during the day. They are in the album neighbours flue-couldnt seem to upload them here, just in an album. Her flue doesnt seem to come out 12 inches i would say, maybe 10, i think you can see by the photos just how close to my back door it spurts out.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Possible the flue is not fitted correctly and sloping toward outside when it should be toward boiler where it can be collect into condensing drain pipe.

Report to your Landlord.

Daniel.

thanks, i dont think it is fitted correctly or by registered gas fitters to be quite honest. How they were doing building work firstly by drilling out the flue without even warning me, knowing i have a dog and we are in and out of my back door all the time. No decals on vans but I took their number plates, just in case

two more photos i just took in the rain so a bit dark, showing the flue above my door and also how little it comes out sideways on. I suppose that white pipe is the condensing drain that goes to the drain pipe outside my kitchen window? Also there is a small copper pipe jutting out which is difficult to see. The images are in the album neighbours flue, i think you have to click on my name to see the album, thanks very much for your imput

While I agree that the flue is installed incorrectly sloped away from the boiler.

In the interests of balance there is no issues with an unsigned van.

And lumps notwithstanding why does you owning a dog have any bearing on him drilling a hole?

Building control might not get much done and possibly the same for Gas Safe.

Talk to your new neighbour and say that if the Flue is incorrectly fitted there may be other problems and that might be lurking. It would be in their interests to get them addressed now rather than later.

Of course if he is getting work done on the cheap he might not give a monkey's.

My saying about my dog was I was walking in my back door with my dog, who i take out into the garden regularly, so back door in constant use, and it was while i was doing this, that the tennis size ball bits of bricks were falling about my head! Surely a builder with any sense, would warn someone they are drilling above their back door and there may be bricks falling out

Post the images in the thread, some of us don't have time to go trawling people's albums.

Copper pipe should turn back against the wall.

But of course he might not have got round to it yet if the works are on going.

can you tell me how to post the photos here, it was only allowing me to do an album, thanks[ 4 images to scroll through gas fitters have gone, their work is over supposedly their Copper tube sticks out, looked at mine and it is bent back to the wall

Paste the "net" code into the body of the post.

On the issue of lumps. It has not been a problem I've had when using a core drill, which does imply a lack of care.

A simply resolved issue - Speak to your housing officer . :idea: .As an aside you're more likely to find "travelling" tradesmen in Kent with fully signwritten vans :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back