neighbours flue spurts out water over my back door

I mean that the neighbour, not you.

Although there may be provision in the lease.

The point is though that this installation is rough. Possibly done illegally by an unregistered person, but easily rectified as long as nothing daft has been done internally.

Local building control and the freeholder are likely to be your only recourse.

Sponsored Links
Orbit and Bexley council have both replied to my email and are going to send someone around. Her builder is upstairs now and for the first time since they installed the central heating and boiler has not turned it on! Probably because I told the owner that i was getting them involved = I bet they are going to say it isnt finished yet and they havent had it turned on! Gas fitters left over a week ago now and the builder has had the heating on constantly since then

further to my neighbours nasty text messages to me saying I was disrespecting her builders.....her builder got in two different legitimate gas firms(two days worth of work) to rectify the water spurting from the flue and today it drains down the drain instead of on my head. Other external work not been done and Bexley council got back to me telling me that they hadnt applied for planning permission as there was no boiler in place before and they may be contravening planning laws........ silly neighbour, all I wanted was for her to fix her dodgy flue, instead of her being nasty. So next week Orbit and Bexley officers inspecting, Bexley internal and out, and Orbit just external.

Nice to see the system working as it should.

Just got involved with a defective installation by a registered installer. . If he had followed procedures he would have made a good few grand extra on the job. . As it is it could end up costing him a lot more.

Sometimes cutting corners just isn't worth it.

Sponsored Links
Independent surveyor employed by Orbit South and Bexley Council have both been to view. Surveyor told me everything external is illegal and has to be redone. Other than should not be placed above my door.....white pipe of flue should not be showing, flue extrudes too much-condensation pipe is too narrow should be higherr gauge. And the pvr copper pipe in no way should be anywhere near a walk way let alone over my back door! So she, the offending neighbour, has been sent a report by Orbit telling her what needs to be done, also Bexley Council put a yellow form through her door, they had told me that the gas building work has not been registered and therefore it contravenes building regulations. So what has she done...........she has got the original bloke, Mr dumb, dumber or even dumber, cant remember which one he is, to come and redo it!!! Taken photos of his van and number plate. Would it be illegal for me to post it, and see if any of you know him? Orbit surveyor asked if i knew what his name was and i said no, although i had written down his number plate which they took.

Whilst us professionals here are all in fake of naming and shaming, the site administration might not be so keen.

Glad to hear about your victory (thus far).

Keep us posted! 99%of the time we give advice and never hear about the results. Seen some real doozies on here and would have loved to have found out what happened.

Scary though this may sound, the defects you are chronicling are pretty minor compared to some.

Was the plumber gas safe registered?

i do not think he is Gas Safe. I have just emailed GasSafe all the photos and photo of his van, which I am told they can investigate whether he is GasSafe. I just wish my neighbour would comply with what she is being asked by authority. Hopefully I will come out of it alive one way or another-hoping it is as minor as you say Dan!

she has got the original bloke, Mr dumb, dumber or even dumber, cant remember which one he is, to come and redo it!!!
I would inform the borough officers that the same builder is back on site, apparently to re-do the work and as you have little confidence in his ability to comply with building regulation could they please pay special attention to what he is doing on site. Mention that you are worried that as he broke the rules once before he may try to cut corners again.

I think he may be doing other work, rather than re doing the gas as they have the central heating on and going, as i know because there is a puddle outside my back door and the flue is spouting!
I think maybe they are doing her kitchen now as pipes beside my kitchen window are moving while they are drilling-looks like the kitchen overflow going into big old cast drain pipe

have I a right to ask them for their GasSafe credentials or have they every right to deny to answer me?

I am not sure.

You could ask the neighbour and if she refuses to show it then you could then tell Building Control and / or GasSafe ( not sure which is best ) that you suspect a non registered boiler is in use in the same building as your home.

Bexley building control know it is an unregistered boiler as they told me that in an email, but no one was in when their officer came calling:( Hopefully authorities will get it sorted out soon, as these jokers upstairs are really getting to me now :(

Sorry for the problem that should not be so. I find it hard to understand people who when faced with a dangerous problem that has been created by them or as in this case, the " heating engineer " do not act in a understanding way. Why make life harder when with a little bit of effort, life can be made easier......funny old world!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back