neighbours flue spurts out water over my back door

I know, all i asked was that she ask the builders to stop the water that was spurting from the flue, as i had to dodge it when going in my garden! Thankfully she has been such a bitch, that i got my housing office and council involved and found out that the work was not up to standard to put it mildly. If she had just been friendly like we had before, then I wouldnt have had the concerns, so my lesson from this is, stop being too friendly to people before you really know them!

Sponsored Links
The joys of Right to Buy - I`m glad the H/A and council are on the ball - shame the OP has had all this hassle , Good tenants are worth their weight in gold

To be quite honest, if it wasnt for my beautiful garden that I have spent 32 years tending and the summerhouse my children bought last year for my 60th birthday I would gladly move :(

Sponsored Links
just an update, the builder upstairs has told me that his friends are coming back to redo it all this weekend.....he tells me where everything is being sited....pvr copper pipe he wanted to put to the right of my back door where i have to walk...I tell him it cannot be over a walkway.... Anyway i then ask him nicely could he do something about the toilet overflow which pumps out water all the time and the damp is going in a arc up my bathroom wall....He does nothing, so I then put a note through the door, telling him that it is probably the ballcock and nut just needs adjusting slightly, or buy a new ballcock 50p,...... He comes down and says he cannot do it as he doesnt have the facilities............erm yes you do, two fingers and a brain! What does he do instead, he puts a water pipe from the offending overflow into the drain instead which took him 10 mins instead of the 30 seconds adjusting the ballcock would have done! It shows he doesnt even know how to do that! I live in hope that eventually everything will be done properly (please!) GasSafe have been in contact and told me that they are writing to the owner and if she doesnt accept their free gas safety check then they will send someone around to me to have a look at the externals once they have been redone.

right chaps, dumb, dumber and even dumber are redoing the work.....they are keeping the copper pvr where it was but are extending it over to the drainpipe with a long copper pipe. Is this reasonable, or should it just come out the wall and turn back on itself like the orbit surveyor said. The pipe will be about 3 metres long. Will get pictures when they have finished.

when Frank the original builder employed by the owner of the property saw me photographing the work, he said he was following all the instructions given by the surveyor, although I know for a fact he isnt. When I said well GasSafe are offering the owner a free gas safety check and if she refuses them entry then they are going to look at the external work, Frank asked what gas company is GasSafe!!! He has employed the other two gas fitters and doesnt even know what GasSafe is. Can you guys see why I am very worried about what is going on above my head! When GasSafe was mentioned the two gas fitters left almost immediately and the work doesnt appear to be finished as the flue has not been touched and the prv is now about 8 metres long going from the original prv on my photos under her kitchen window and down the drain pipe into the drain. Frank says they have a Gas certificate for all the work done (which seems strange when everyone, Bexley Council, Orbit and now GasSafe tell me that the original work was not of a gas safety standard) What worries me is the work they have been doing that cant be seen. All my ceilings are cracking around the edges since they have been doing work, whether that is through the force they have been using on drills on the joists or another reason, but the ceilings were not cracked around the edges before, there are gaps now between my ceiling and my coving. :(

Mate! You are going through it !! Council and Gas Safe appear to be your best friends, keep them in the loop and us.
Hope the finished job, when it's happens, is as good as it should be.

Mate! You are going through it !! Council and Gas Safe appear to be your best friends, keep them in the loop and us.
Hope the finished job, when it's happens, is as good as it should be.

thanks Pete-its just a worry- I wont let my little grandson stay the night once a week like he used to just incase anything bad happens-once they get the all clear from GasSafe, if they let them in, then I will be happy! But how disturbing is it that they are employing dodgy obviously non GasSafe fitters, but somehow seem to have the original job signed off with a gas certificate so Frank says, even though at the very least the external work was all not up to GasSafe standards, i.e. flue all wrong,pvr over a walkway i.e. my back door and wrong width of condensation pipe! And frank himself asking what gas firm are GasSafe!

Would you possibly have pictures of your ceilings before the work started? May then be able to argue that the work above caused the damage?

Would you possibly have pictures of your ceilings before the work started? May then be able to argue that the work above caused the damage?
no i didnt photograph the ceilings before, but you can see that the cracking is fresh, i paint my ceilings every year or so with a thin roller coat. I am not worried about cosmetic, rather more worried about ceilings falling on me! Maybe an idea to photograph everything for future reference! The builder has been sawing up there and I am so worried it was joists he was sawing to make way for the pipes! I know this sounds insane, but he really isnt the smartest chap on the block! Doesnt know how to replace ballcock or how to adjust the valve, not sure he even knew what a ballcock was! And doesnt know who GasSafe are even though he and his friends are doing the gas work....... If I had an exposed joist I might just hang myself (or Frank the builder!) Mind you got a feeling we wont be seeing his gas fitter friends again after their quick exit once I said GasSafe want to do a safety check on them!

Well GasSafe man has come, and all i can say even he is an effing joke! He says i can see things externally that are not right but maybe not quite dangerous and until they let us enter the property which we have no right to do, then you have done all you can.
So I say, so if I blow up and get killed then its ok, you cant do anything. Yes sorry until they let us gain entry we cannot do anything.
Thanks goodbye Mr GasSafe person, he wasnt interested that they are illegal fitters, just got to stick by the rule books and because No 13 wont have a free GasSafe check then they can do nothing.
Im done. Fed up, cant have my grandson stay until I know upstairs is safe

You are rather insulting of the gas safe guy. He's probably as frustrated as you. But what would you have him do? smash the door down, get arrested for breaking and entering and loose his job?

If you are going to blame anyone other than the original installer, blame those that don't give him the authority he needs to gain access.

Stem is correct I'm afraid, the GS inspector can only do what the Health & Safety Executive give him the power to do. Many Gas Safe Registered installers are frustrated about this for the same reason - GS are quite toothless much of the time.

You could try Environmental Health - they might declare the flue to be a statutory nuisance in which case your neighbours will be forced to alter it

The other option could be, depending on the work they are doing, then building control may be interested??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back