Neighbours garage on my land

Is that your actual deeds plan, or have you drawn in those red lines in that place to show the boundary as it is?

Just between 9 and 21, on the double lines, is a faint break in the lines - like a line has been erased. What's that?

It is difficult to scale from deed plans, as those lines could well scale to be 500mm wide which is more or less the disputed width of land.

The offset lines do seem random, so you can't seem to be able to measure of the main house garden boundary. But a logical assumption that all the plots would be the same width would be fair. So if that plot is wider, and yours narrower than all the others, then yes the boundary may have been built over.

Sponsored Links
Is that your actual deeds plan, or have you drawn in those red lines in that place to show the boundary as it is?

Just between 9 and 21, on the double lines, is a faint break in the lines - like a line has been erased. What's that?

It is difficult to scale from deed plans, as those lines could well scale to be 500mm wide which is more or less the disputed width of land.

The offset lines do seem random, so you can't seem to be able to measure of the main house garden boundary. But a logical assumption that all the plots would be the same width would be fair. So if that plot is wider, and yours narrower than all the others, then yes the boundary may have been built over.

I haven't done anything, that's the actual deed plans. Looks like it's been photocopied a lot of times and just isn't as clear as it was.

Visually it doesn't look like their garage is overlapping the boundary of our house but yes the spaces don't all add up width wise despite the deeds looking like they are all the same size plots.

To be honest though is it worth Persuing? The land registry guy told me even if they have overlapped the boundary of the garage has been there more than 12 years (apparently 20) then they basically own it anyway.

I only want to build it for a motorbike but it is infuriating to think they could have stolen our land?

The land registry guy told me even if they have overlapped the boundary of the garage has been there more than 12 years (apparently 20) then they basically own it anyway.

Then he is wrong. Being in possession of land for ten years just means that he can apply for the title (ie claim ownership), he does not get to own it.

Whether it's worth pursuing, or hinting to the neighbour that you will be, is up to you.

Sponsored Links
The land registry guy told me even if they have overlapped the boundary of the garage has been there more than 12 years (apparently 20) then they basically own it anyway.

Then he is wrong. Being in possession of land for ten years just means that he can apply for the title (ie claim ownership), he does not get to own it.

Whether it's worth pursuing, or hinting to the neighbour that you will be, is up to you.

That's interesting!

I think I need to speak to my solicitor and get her advice on this, I'm going to speak to the neighbour today with my builder to see if we can explain the situation or come to an agreement using the wall as a party wall, if not I'll explain that they've built onto our land and we are going to look into having it removed.

They already said multiple times that they 'were given a larger plot' I'm not sure why they think that.

To be honest I think the people who lived in my house at the time never used that space (the neighbours son parked there for 8 years) so they probably took advantage by making their garage extra large.

Not sure whether I'd get anywhere legally about them on my land though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back