Neighbours noisy extractor fan - breach of planning or nuisance noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door neighbour has recently installed an extractor fan on the side of their detached house. 2m from our boundary, and 3m from our house. This is the product: https://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/monsoon-uec125-external-centrifugal-fan-125mm-390m3hr-3444-p.asp

It is loud - measuring c. 53db at my upstairs window c. 7m away vs background noise around 33dbs. With the windows shut in my house, I hear it throughout the upstairs bedrooms and downstairs living rooms.

Have asked whether they can do anything about the noise, but they say they can't. Since asking, they have significantly upped their usage to c. >1 hour a day throughout the day at varying times.

They are about to start a house extension, and I question whether they need planning permission given the loud noise (it did not form part of planning application)? I understand that "Very small external equipment (for example, a small extractor fan that is not visible from the surrounding streets) may not require planning permission if it does not materially change the external appearance of the property." Given the noise levels I would suggest this isn't 'small' albeit it might be in size.

Or do I make a complaint about nuisance noise on the basis of it can be heard throughout my house with doors and windows shut; seemingly excessive? Would I have a leg to stand on either way?

Spoke with council who say it will be assessed on a subjective basis as to whether the impact is worthy of investigation. Am concerned it will be rejected and, if we ever sold our property we'd need to disclose the complaint and the fact we lost.

Grateful for any advise.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why do they need a fan like that? Running a weed farm or something?

Know exactly what you are up against - neighbours can be c%nts. Brother has a link detached and with no communication from neighbours they started to convert their garage into a kitchen diner wanting to put all the units, cooker, washing machine, extractors, etc, etc on the wall - where my brother's bed in bedroom is right the other side of wall. Luckily we found out the wall isn't actually a party wall - so no rights to fix anything on his wall apart from their garage roof that's been there since place was built. Half way through their work, brother told them to do one and they had to abandon project. Good luck!

Last edited:
I got no idea about that fan other than it’s so loud. Any advice on next steps and if it is excessive or me just being sensitive?

Sponsored Links
Spoke to neighbours, they upped their usage!

spoke to council, assessment seems subjective..... nervous about proceeding and losing....

Option 3 sounds great

Recording from inside your property with footage of a decibel meter may be admissible evidence. If you can get such footage showing an unreasonable level of noise, the council should start to take notice. If they do, then they should go on to use their own equipment to gather evidence of excessive noise.

Just looked that fan up. It generates 54dB.
But for every doubling of the distance from the fan, there is a 6dB reduction.
So 53dB at your window is surprising.
I wonder if the fan is badly installed and is generating excessive noise maybe through vibration or rattles?

I would stick something long into it, like a thin branch, as it was affecting my sleep. Do the shaggy (it wasn't me) and blame the wind. That's just me though. We don't stand for baloney. (weird science if that made your ears prick up). Sorry, but as others have suggested, the time, length and legal cost (and risk), I'm sure you will get used to it over time.

I have a 14" over my bed all year round. I can't sleep without moving air.

Good luck though.

Dan.

You could bluff them with a threat of injunction if they don’t sound proof the unit.

They don’t need planning permission if
  • It isn’t bigger than 0.6m³
  • It’s over a metre away from any property
  • It is more than a metre away from the edge of a flat roof
  • It isn’t fitted on a pitched roof

Last edited:
Is it possible to sound proof using any application apart from a better performing model.?? Meet half way and say kill it between say 23.00 - 07.00 hrs just like the use of a horn act (if that hasn't changed since errr)

22nd Dec 1992 when I failed my only test.

Dan.

Or a hidden piezo outside your window to make chips like a failed smoke alarm battery. On those nights, Have a whiskey before bed. I am so immature...

Might need to check the dimensions and ask the planning dept for enforcement

Might need to check the dimensions and ask the planning dept for enforcement

I think it's is going to be a lot smaller than 600 x 600.

Throw rocks at it. He may think it's the fan itself making the noise. When you see him in the yard looking up at it, shout yeah, I heard than mad, were you being burgled.

EDIT: motorbiking, I was imagining a 2D (pc looking fan).

Uhm, maybe if he would fit in on a timer. Offer to pay for it. It's going to be like this for time. Are they running a 'satellite kitchen' for Uber eats etc?

Surprising how cheap that is, even to run. I want one. This house FK stinks of weed. Yes, perhaps that is what it's being used for. Outside your window too, poor bugger!!

Last edited:
Sounds like statutory noise nuisance might be the best option as it’s over the limit

The 54db should be the measurement at no more than 1 metre. If you are 7 metres away it should be much, much quieter.
Bear in mind that for every 3db rise the noise actually doubles, so, if you measured the sound at 51db it would be half as loud as it is at 54db
The guidance on noise levels in work is no more than 8 hours @ 80db, (Unless it's changed recently), and then you must have a break for at least 4 hours.
Noise effects are cumulative in that the damage it causes to your hearing is something which builds up over time. You may think you are getting used to it and it doesn't sound so bad, but in actual fact it doesn't sound so bad/noticeable because your hearing has actually been irreparably damaged.
It may cost a couple of quid but consider getting in a firm who can professionally measure the noise level for you. They don't need to go on their property as they simple use an extending probe to measure at various set distances. This will add more weight to any complaint you make to the council or courts.

Sponsored Links
Back