Neighbours objecting planning

Thank you good people for taking precious time out to help a stranger, especially you Woody. It’s appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You would think so wouldn’t you, but only if the neighbours agree. It’s not just in the playgrounds bullies get their way. I have had two applications for permitted development withdrawn by my architect after being advised by planning re neighbour objections. No matter what amendments we make it appears the neighbours come up with new issues .

As woody has suggested, if your proposed build meets permitted development you don't need to apply for anything you just get on and build it (with the exception of building regs if required but that's a seperate thing) that's the point of pd.

Sponsored Links
Surely it's over 3m and you have fallen foul of the unfair NCS. You need to apply for PP. I went through the same, and the planning officer worked with me (or rather told me what he would approve), which was far more than the 3m standard PD allowance, but is dependent on the impact of the 45° rule - if your neighbour has a window close to the boundary you're fairly stuffed - hopefully you have the width to step in/stagger your extension.

Right, you seem to be confused as to what you are applying for and the neighbours role in things - and your Architect (who seems to be a plan monkey not an Architect) is probably to blame.

Permitted development (PD) is permitted and does not need any approval from the council, nor can any objections from neighbours prevent it. If designed within the criteria an extension can be built, and can be built where it might not otherwise be approved if formal permission was sought.

The Neighbour Consultation Scheme (NCS) for larger extensions is a way to ask the council if an extension larger than would otherwise be allowed under permitted development, would be allowed without having to apply for formal permission. Because it is larger than would otherwise be permitted development and may impact on neighbours then the neighbours get to comment. It's a comment, whether the neighbours phrase it as an objection or not, its still just a comment in planning terms. However the council will consider any comments and decide whether the comments are relevant or not and decide on that bases whether to deem the proposed works to need further and more detailed scrutiny under a formal planning application, or to deem comments insignificant and so allow the extension to be built without needing to apply for planning permission.

Then there is a traditional application for planning permission.

The issues for any competent designer to consider when advising clients is whether the extension can be built under PD and then no-one can stop it. The main issue is size and whether the size criteria for PD will meet the clients needs.

If a larger extension than allowed under PD is required, then the NCS can be used, but there is the risk that the impact on neighbours of a larger extension, may well cause adverse comments - and so the council may deem the impact too great to allow without further consideration.

So if an extension to meet the clients needs can't be built under PD and is not deemed suitable under NCS, then it needs formal planning permission. This then brings in the local planning policies and other considerations so the designer needs to design the extension to meet these requirements /restrictions. It's no good drawing up plans for an extension that wont meet policy, as it will not be approved.

So, taking all this into account, a competent designer will consider what the client wants and needs and advise them that their needs will be met under an extension that falls into one of the three categories above. The competent designer should also advise that if the extension that the client wants is in way contentions, then the best option is to build it (a smaller design if need be) under PD. The NCS is to some extents opportunistic, and may or may not be deemed acceptable - a cheap way to 'test the water'. However if an extension is not acceptable to the council or neighbours under the NCS then it is often unlikely that the same size extension would be approved if formal planning permission was applied for.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time and detailed explanation. The problem is with the architect. He just churns out the drawings and collects his fees. Hasn’t explained anything. Doesn’t return my calls. Reassured me it would be permitted in 3 weeks and already we are into 3 months. The extension after adding to the original kitchen would be 3.5 metres from the rear wall.

Woody,

You are right. Also if I may say you are v knowledgeable. Are you an architect, builder or planning officer yourself?

I reckon you could do all 3 jobs with your eyes closed and one arm behind your back

Last edited by a moderator:
How far does this extension project from the original house. Is it more or less than 3m?

More than 3 metres. 3.5 metres from the original kitchen. The reason for extension is I am finding it harder to use upstairs bathroom and the plan is to install a wetroom as a part of this extension,

Obviously I don't know the site, but I find it hard to believe a 3.5m deep extension-just 50cm beyond what is permitted development- is refuseable by the Council. If the extension does not a) unreasonably impact the privacy of the occupiers of neighbouring properties, b) unreasonably impact on the light to habitable rooms of neighbouring properties or c) does not create an unreasonable massing impact/sense of enclosure for neighbours, then the NCS application should be approved.

Personally, I'd email the Planning Officer to ask what the residential amenity issues were that prevent the approval being granted (residential amenity issues being a)-c) above). I know that would mean sidetracking your architect, but it doesn't sound like he's doing his job.

Is it a 3.5m extension that extends an existing 3m extension? So a 6.5m extension in total?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back