Neon on Cooker Switch not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all,

I removed a plastic cooker faceplate today (it had no neon) and I replaced it with a brushed steel one (with neon light).
The oven works fine since I am stumped. As far as I am aware the I got the feed and supply right.

Sponsored Links
Check the neon itself is sat correctly in it's holder.

Also check the neon wires are securely connected.

Why on earth do you need a neon anyway? Get a faceplate without one.

Sponsored Links
What he does not want is you telling him not to have something he wants.
Hmmm. What about all those people who get told things they don't necessarily want to be told about their wanting downlights. remote-controlled switching, PIR-controlled indoor lights etc. etc.?

Kind Regards, John

You'll find that with all of those there are genuine problems with them which they might not have considered. Uneven lighting, insulation/condensation issues, reliability/interference, not coming on/staying on when required, and so on.

Not the same as a neon on a cooker switch faceplate.

You'll find that with all of those there are genuine problems with them which they might not have considered. Uneven lighting, insulation/condensation issues, reliability/interference, not coming on/staying on when required, and so on.
True, but they also sometimes get told that there are wide-ranging issues relating to having things 'just because they are possible', even if there are no functional downsides (such as you mention above) to be considered.

Kind Regards, John

The reason I mentioned it was because I have a neon on a cooker switch I inherited with the house in 2004. Now having been on 24/7 ever since it is black and can hardly be seen, not to mention the approx £13 in electricity it has cost in that time. I should have changed it (for less than £13?) but I did not realise I would be here for so long.

The reason I mentioned it was because I have a neon on a cooker switch I inherited with the house in 2004. Now having been on 24/7 ever since it is black and can hardly be seen, not to mention the approx £13 in electricity it has cost in that time. I should have changed it (for less than £13?) but I did not realise I would be here for so long.
Fair enough.

You could, of course, have simply disconnected the neon, at no cost to yourself, in order to save the minor electricity cost!

In passing, as for those costs, I'm not sure where you get the £13 from. Neons in switches/sockets I have examined have usually drawn about 150mW. By my reckoning that would about to around 17kWh if run 2/7 for 13 years - which would be under £3 even at today's prices.

Kind Regards, John

I just guessed at 1 watt. Obviously a wrong guess.
Fair enough - and, who knows, you might have a particularly greedy neon (which you could have disconnected, anyway) - I can only tell you about the one's I've looked at.

[ for your information, the ones I've looked at usually have a series resistor of around 220kΩ, which has about 140V across it (90-100V being across the neon). That's about 0.64mA, hence about 147mW at 230V ]

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back