Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve been going round in circles on this and could really do with some help! I have a Glowworm Easicom 28 Boiler which connects to a Glowworm thermostat in my hall. I would like to instal a Nest 3 to improve efficiency (and because the controls on the thermostat are very clunky). I think it would be possible to wire it up for simple on/off through the relays but I can’t work out if the boiler is OpenTherm compatible or not. It looks like glowworm has a different ‘smart’ system but I don’t know if that is compatible with Nest…

So my questions:

- Is my boiler OpenTherm compatible?
- If not, does it have some other form of Smart Control?
- If I install the Nest 3 will I loose some of the benefit of the glowworm control system?

I may well be getting this all muddled and very grateful for any input!

Sponsored Links
I find the manual on line, and do a word hunt for Opentherm (no hit) and ebus (loads) only advantage in changing wall thermostat is if the new one connects to the TRV heads and old one does not, and since Nest Gen 3 does not connect to TRV heads to my mind non starter.

Fitting a Nest - you would lose modulation as Glow worm uses ebus, 24v switching or mains switching, ebus is Glow worm/Vaillant own thermostat language and doesn’t support opentherm language.

Ok. I think I follow. Would the benefits of being able to easily control my heating be outweighed by the lack of modulation do you think? For context, I’m a single person living in a small Victorian terrace.

Sponsored Links
(I know I can already control my heating but it’s very difficult to adjust so it just on everyday even when I go to work)

(I know I can already control my heating but it’s very difficult to adjust so it just on everyday even when I go to work)
If you’re leaving it on all day, then I should imagine simple on/off schedules would be better. Maybe upgrade the control existing own brand controller?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back