Nest/Boiler issues

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I spoke to an Ideal Technical and she suggested it’s correct, the boiler uses the HWOFF signal to differentiate for the weather comp I’m told.

SL2 should be wired from cyl stat and hw off on timer so that weather comp kicks in after HW is satisfied, otherwise the cyl may not get to temp if warmer outside.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The software in the pcb is a pain. So bear with me. Even if there is no demand from end switches on SL1 the boiler will run on open therm if it doesn’t have 240v down SL2 when hw satisfied.
That will be your problem. The Lack of 240v in SL2 makes the boiler run at 80deg to heat the cyl.
as I said I feel that the software shouldn’t use that if there is no demand on SL1 from end switches. Cause exactly as you described happens. Boiler fires up at 80deg but valves are shut and pump has no demand.
it’s a bit back to front but it’s to do with low voltage opentherm side being ignored until cyl up to temp. It overrides everything and brings boiler on at 80deg even if no SL1

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hope that makes sense. I’m pretty crap at explaining it but I know how it should be done.

Thanks shambolic. So the connector which had two wires going into it on the tank (I’m assuming this is cyclinder off and hw off) now only has one as the nest isn’t hooked up to send the hw off.
Am I correct in saying I have two options here, get the hw off connected or remove the SL2 and weather comp? Is there any issue that the cyclinder off is still wired up if SL2 is disconnected?
I’m not using opentherm.

Easiest remedy is to remove weather comp and remove SL2. Turn boiler off at spur for 10 minutes so boiler forgets weather comp.

Thanks shambolic, that’s what I thought, thanks for confirming. Is there any issues with me leaving the cyclinder off wired into the HW OFF slot or can I just leave that?

Thanks shambolic, that’s what I thought, thanks for confirming. Is there any issues with me leaving the cyclinder off wired into the HW OFF slot or can I just leave that?
You can’t as it will also keep the boiler on 24hrs if no weather comp fitted. So both must be removed. Just snip it and leave safe in a bit of terminal strip inside boiler if too difficult to trace and remove at wiring centre.

Sorry I mean, I’ll remove SL2 in the boiler but in the tank junction box can I just leave the cyclinder off wired? That’s what thermostat HW OFF went into before. I assume it makes no difference if SL2 is disconnected at the boiler?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back