Nest install seems okay but not convinced it's working!

Have you got closed down TRVs on the rads if 22 C in the room?

The Nest is supplied at 12 vdc from the Heatlink although the book says that it is 5 v. They will also work from the 5 v from a USB connection.

I did not know that they would send the signal to the Heatlink via the 12 vdc connection rather than use the wireless. Sensible thing to do. Do both the earlier and latest do that?

Always prefer maker's advice on connections. But I can test that on my early one at home!

Sponsored Links
The heating's been on for over 30 minutes now. All the radiators downstairs (zone 1) are cold. However, some of the radiators upstairs have heat in them. So I'm thinking theres a combination of two things going on here.

1. The person that fitted the heating has the zones around the wrong way.
2. Some of the radiators need bled.

Possible?
Not really

From the Nest Installation Manual (my emphasis):

The Heat Link and Nest Thermostat communicate wirelessly, even if they are also connected by cables.

As for the actual problem ...

Have you checked that the zone valves open when a call for heat is made? Feel the pipe, on the side away from the boiler, some distance from the valve; it should be hot.

What happens if you turn the TRVs up to maximum?

Do the two rads without a TRV (one in each zone) get hot?

The zone valves are set to auto. The pipe above the zone 1 valve is hot. Some of the radiators upstairs are heating up, some aren't.

All the TRVs are set to 5 (the maximum).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have asked you THREE times about the TRVs!

They may be off at 5 !

Try taking some TRV heads off.

Then check the pins are not stuck down as often happens in the summer!

I have asked you THREE times about the TRVs! But no reply from you!

You seem to have a black hole in your reading!

I edited my original post where you originally asked. All the TRV's are set to 5, the maximum.

Your TRVs may be off at 5 !

Try taking some TRV heads off.

Then check the pins are not stuck down as often happens in the summer!

The heating system is all brand new so I would like to think it worked. Everything from the Nest side seems to be working. The boiler fires up when heat is called for, the zone valves work, the pipes above them get hot.

It definitely seems like they've labelled the zone valves around the wrong way. When zone 1 valve was on, only radiators upstairs were heating up. I've turned zone 1 off and have now turned on zone 2.

I checked a few TRV's and the pins were all up, so they seemed okay.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get the site manager to send a plumber around. Just worried they'll try and wash their hands of it since I've installed Nest, even though it appears to be a plumbing issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back