Nest (s) wiring sanity check - multi zone replacement

Are you sure they’re all neutrals? Seems odd, as when switched off they would become live
I’m not no, I’m hoping the routing per the pic makes more sense of that.

In short - the existing room thermostats have a red and black cable, the black to go to the zone valves, the red seem to go up to the programmer - but changing colour to black as they do.

The other red cables that go from the wiring centre to the programmer, are all connected to the valves “boiler connection” point, with the only trace of the boiler being linked to those blocks being the fact a switch connects to both the neutral bank the boiler and pump does, with the red cable from the switch going to the central connector of those linked connections.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I’m not no, I’m hoping the routing per the pic makes more sense if that.

The existing thermostats have a red and black cable, the black to go to the zone valves, the red seem to go up to the programmer - but changing colour to black as they do
Unfortunately, colours mean diddly squat in a heating system - welcome to our world. I wonder if at this point it’s worth getting someone in?

Unfortunately, colours mean diddly squat in a heating system - welcome to our world. I wonder if at this point it’s worth getting someone in?
Well what helps is the pump is in new colours, which along with the valve wire colours which are original, helps very easily highlight the lives and neutrals in the system.

Ive ordered a new wiring centre just to make the entire setup tidy and sleeve the earths, im just missing the link of why there are or would be 6 cables going to serve a ch/ heat programmer, and wondering what the impact might be of omitting some, or the point of this switch and flipping it doesn’t seem to do anything obvious.

If you fancy seeing the unadulterated full colour version of the system- take a look at this :D

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
No, omitting shouldn’t be a problem, as I’ve never seen one wired the same as yours. However if needed, maybe terminate the blacks at the programmer into terminal strip blocks (individually of course), then if needed, they are available. I can’t follow the full colour system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back