Nest Thermostat Gen 3 Dual Zone Install

A&B is simply a switch mate (battery powered) they go to 2&3 on the heatlink, all the switch part does is send power to the Brown wire on the corrosponding Zone valve, the existing wiring will do the rest, but as said already the Heatlink needs an L&N supply to power it and if the OP wants to use T1 and T2 to power the thermostat , he /she will have to run a cable for that and supply and Earth to the Heat link
Thanks mate, I understand the switch part at a and b, could the existing not be used for T1 and T2 and alter at the wiring center though? Sort of how I thought in post #8?

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate, I understand the switch part at a and b, could the existing not be used for T1 and T2 and alter at the wiring center though? Sort of how I thought in post #8?
yes mate the wires in A&B could be used to power the nest thermostat, as long as they were totally disconnected at the wiring centre, and moved to the Heat link, at T1 and T2, and all new wiring will be required between the wiring centre and the heat link, not what the OP asked though, a bit above general DIY competence, if all the OP wants to do is use the existing 2 cores at A&B to power the thermostat then of course he can use that, but the Heat link will have to be wired into the wiring centre with 5 cores between the Wiring centre and the Heat link, as well as the two existing cores to power the thermostat

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I need to do exactly this and I’m not sure how there is a misunderstanding. I included a link to a thread where someone had done this install.

Sponsored Links
Got it. That makes sense. It also raises the other point about power to the stat as if they are switching wires only will they power the stat?

Got it. That makes sense. It also raises the other point about power to the stat as if they are switching wires only will they power the stat?
If they are taken to the heat link yes, otherwise they will be mains switching as Ian has pointed out

So I suppose the question then is aside from the terminology point Ian has made, was my initial post/plan correct please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back