Nest thermostat wiring setup help!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there,

After unsuccessful attempts to wire up a Hive thermostat, I am now trying to get a Google Nest to control heating in my home.

While the thermostat connects to my app and appears to be working on paper, turning the heating on and off do nothing - either the boiler will stay on if I have phgsically set it to that as usual, or it will stay off if I physically turn it off.

I am attaching pictures of my setup along with the wiring that was there from the previous inhabitants who also had a nest - any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG-20231025-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20231025-WA0000.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20240104_191413_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_191413_Chrome.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20240104_192413_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_192413_Gallery.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20240104_192416_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_192416_Gallery.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20240104_192418_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240104_192418_Gallery.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Boiler has low pressure and is set to hot water only on the selector switch.

Can you check?
I cant unfortunately, I amnt able to acces the area where they connect to.

Also the picture there with the low pressure gauge and on hot water only is dated, usually the dial is turned to the heating when on and the pressure is fine

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
What thermostat did you have prior to any work being carried out? Is the heating permanently on a new thing with the Nest?

We only moved into the house a few months ago and there was an old nest there, but we've only just replaced it.

We manually turn on the heating on and off using that knob on the left hand side of the picture above.

• Thanks
We only moved into the house a few months ago and there was an old nest there, but we've only just replaced it.

We manually turn on the heating on and off using that knob on the left hand side of the picture above.
I’d say there could be a link inside the boiler then that might need removing. Why can’t you access the wiring?

Yep, called that out in my original message here - can you help?
We concentrated last time on purely swapping the thermostats over from Nest to Hive - although I don't know if we ever asked the question...
Did the original Nest operate correctly, before you decided to swap it?

You seem unwilling to follow where the cable goes, but do you have any other controls, zone valves, or a wiring centre etc.?

I’d say there could be a link inside the boiler then that might need removing. Why can’t you access the wiring?
So the original Nest was missing the actual thermostat (presumably taken by the previous owners) so I have no idea if it worked or not, although the light on the heat link would blink so presumably it did.

On following the wires, I genuinely can't see how I can look without professional help (I am a truly clueless amateur here) as the boiler is attached to the wall and I cant access the area behind where the other end of the cable disappears up into. I can send a pic to explain if it helps!

• Thanks
No pic necessary. It’s quite easy, if you feel confident, and I don’t recommend this for just any boiler but yours is fine. Be careful as it’s mains voltage. You could turn power off to be safe.

There’s 2 screws on the front - if you look at the drop down panel there’s 2 magnets which align with the screws. Undo these slightly, lift off the outer cover. Then undo screws fully, being careful not to lose them.

Allow panel to drop down, follow cable on the left to a plastic housing, which I think is 1 screw, undo this, remove and you have access to the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back