NETAHEAT Profile 60e - which boiler is this? Is it safe?

I also wanted to add we have a immersion heater in hot water cylinder and a gas boiler. The GS Engineer who visited us suggested we turn off the electric immersion heater and only use the gas boiler. He said the electric heater is a backup system and need not be used all the time. Does it sound right?

Sponsored Links
Can't understand his thinking regarding the TRV that can be fitted to the rads. If you do, do not fit to bathroom or the rad near the main stat in the hall, ( rule of thumb )
He's right about turning off the electric heater.
I would still go for my idea of washing out each rad and bin the power wash, but it's your call.
Pete

Can't understand his thinking regarding the TRV that can be fitted to the rads. If you do, do not fit to bathroom or the rad near the main stat in the hall, ( rule of thumb )
He's right about turning off the electric Emerson heater.
I would still go for my idea of washing out each rad and bin the power wash, but it's your call.
Pete
I also didn't understand the idea why TRV can NOT be fitted to the radiators - especially ones on 1st floor don't need to be running full blast during the day.

I wonder if anyone on this forum could comment on this - any possible reason why TRVs should not be fitted on radiators of old boiler system? I will also post here after I get a reply for gas engineer.

I will try to suggest we take the rad out before flushing them. Adey do a magnet that goes on SDS drill, to agitate the sludge / deposit. Any idea if they are any good? Cost about £55 for the magnet.

In regard to your remark about the hot water 'tasting funny', I must ask why are you tasting it? The only water used for drinking should be that from a mains fed, cold tap, i.e. the kitchen sink. (Its possible other cold taps are also mains fed but not guaranteed.) The hot supply in your property is fed from a storage cistern above the hot water cylinder, this may not even be covered, in which case all manner of debris could be lurking in there! :eek:

Sponsored Links
In regard to your remark about the hot water 'tasting funny', I must ask why are you tasting it? The only water used for drinking should be that from a mains fed, cold tap, i.e. the kitchen sink. (Its possible other cold taps are also mains fed but not guaranteed.) The hot supply in your property is fed from a storage cistern above the hot water cylinder, this may not even be covered, in which case all manner of debris could be lurking in there! :eek:

Hi Hugh Jaleak, the water from main is freezing cold, so for brushing teeth etc, we use mixer tap in washbasin - is that not normal?

The cold water tank in the loft is covered but is full of debris - please see picture attached! I intend to clean the tank very soon before we fit the water softner.

Attachments

• 2015-10-11 19.19.03.jpg
    2015-10-11 19.19.03.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 2015-10-11 19.17.56.jpg
    2015-10-11 19.17.56.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 135
is yours an old house with steel supply pipe? That looks rather like rust sediment to me

Using the cold supply in the bathroom is normal I'd have said for brushing teeth etc. I wouldnt be using hot to brush my teeth to be honest, and looking at the muck in the bottom of your tank, I'd want to clean that out and fit a lid before I bathed in it... Is it rust sediment? (or looks to me like sand!)

He said the electric heater is a backup system and need not be used all the time. Does it sound right?
Correct.
Electricity is 4x-5x more expensive than gas, so even allowing for the boiler not being 100% efficient, you are just throwing money away by using the electric immersion heater.

is yours an old house with steel supply pipe?
Thanks John. It is 1930's semi detached bog standard house and as far as I can see, we have copper pipes, but I will double check. It is sand at the bottom of the tank, possibly unattended for at least last 7 years or more.

I wouldnt be using hot water to brush my teeth
Hi Hugh, it is indeed sand in the tank, water from mixer (picture attached) is comfortable than cold from mains. I will soon get the tank cleaned. I had to urgently change the ball valve first after we moved into this house.

Correct.
Electricity is 4x-5x more expensive than gas.
Thanks Flameport for confirming this, very helpful to know this - will save us money! :)

Ask you plumber if its a one pipe system.
Thanks Picasso, I will ask the plumber - I heard this 'one pipe system' phrase first time and I looked it up. What are other systems, vis a vis one pipe system? parallel / multi pipe system?

Attachments

• Mixer tap.jpg
    Mixer tap.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 89

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back