Netbook

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you get Microsoft Office on a Netbook?

Was thinking of getting one and I know its not got a CD drive but I need Microsoft Office. I already have the disk from my desktop.

Also is it worth getting a Desktop for browsing and doing excel files etc or am I as well getting a Laptop?

Sponsored Links
on another machine, create a disc image using nero or similar burning software (make sure you make an iso, not one of the programs own file formats.

get magic ISO, install to netbook.

put the iso on a memory stick, insert into netbook, use magic iso to mount the image, run it from there.

the iso is a "virtual" CD/DVD, and magic ISO a "virtual Drive" so installs exactly the same as if using disc/drive.

this is the method we use at work, we dont get discs, but subscribe to microsoft.

be careful though, some netbooks have very small HHD, especialy if its solid state, you may find you run out of space quickly.

Have you considered downloading it? Obviously there are torrents where you could download it for free, which is totally up to yourself, but you could download a trial version from microsoft and then buy the registration key?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

No reason why a decent spec, reasonable priced laptop/netbook shouldn't be sufficient for what you want to do. Just check the processor, the RAM and the Hard Drive space.

EDIT: Magic ISO as described above would work perfectly too.

I agree with tim.

Personally I think that netbooks are toys, often about as powerful as a decent mobile phone.

If you are going for a microsoft xp (home) notebook you are resticted to 1gb of RAM- microsoft bullied the manufacturers into this restriction. Most netbooks will how ever be upgradable to 2gb which is fine for xp and office.

You could always buy an external cd drive...

Sponsored Links
Have netbook... Office runs ok.
Absolutely brilliant on long haul flight (with leccy socket provided)- fits easily on the seat back 'table', 60 GB hdd holds more than enough movies + music + photos - use with noise reducing headphones great fun... really shrinks the journey.

Office installation.
I'm sure I just copied Office 97 disk to suitably sized pendrive... then to HDD, ran install prog.

There are plenty of freeby 'virtual media players' around.

External optical drive. (best idea imho)

-o-

Ive just installed Magiciso on my Samsung NC10 but cant get it to mount an iso image of Office 2003 - it just says failed to mount image! Everyone seems to rate Magiciso but it doesnt seem too want to run for me! As far as I can tell the ISO file is fine.

Ive just installed Magiciso on my Samsung NC10 but cant get it to mount an iso image of Office 2003 - it just says failed to mount image! Everyone seems to rate Magiciso but it doesnt seem too want to run for me! As far as I can tell the ISO file is fine.

Have you successfully mounted any ISO using Magic iso on your NC10?

Sponsored Links
Back