NETGEAR WG602 v2 access point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above, connected by wire to my desktop, to connect lappys wirelessly to the net, all appears to be working fine, however I cannot access the access points admin pages, which i need to do to check the security setting to set up a new puter, HELP! I have tried the http://192.168.0.227/ number in the manual, and the others advised on the netgear site, but to no-avail, I have even re-set the point, resulting in the loss of all security, and now is temporarily un-plugged.
I dont want to go out and buy new stuff if i can help it.

Sponsored Links
Have you set a static ip address on your PC? It needs to be on the same subnet as the access point, i.e., it needs to start 192.168.0.

For example 192.168.0.100

If you have connected it to a router, it's probably getting an ip address from it, which won't be the default.

If you have Winxp or win2k then goto a command prompt and

ipconfig

This will display your ip address and default gateway. The def gway is the router address so stick that in IE and you should get the login for the admin.

For Win98 it's winipcfg

Pete

wotsupnow said:
If you have Winxp or win2k then goto a command prompt and

ipconfig

This will display your ip address and default gateway. The def gway is the router address so stick that in IE and you should get the login for the admin.

For Win98 it's winipcfg

Pete

Good post, except that the device is not a router, it's an access point and is a DHCP client not a server. If it's connected to a router, it would be advisable to give the access point a static ipaddress and reserve the assigned address in the router.

The ipconfig command will provide useful information, which you should post here so one of us can direct you further.

Sponsored Links
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tim>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter NETGEAR:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.210
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Tiscali Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 80.43.158.99
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 80.43.158.99

C:\Documents and Settings\Tim>

this is the info given for the command prompt, forgot to mention that my bradband is connected via a dsl modem, not via a router

I have tried accessing through IE and firefox, bot get page not found on IE, and a connection timed out message in forefox.
Im really bamboozled.

What happens when you try and ping the access point using the default address?

Open a command prompt and type PING 192.168.0.227.

tried it, this is what i get

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tim>PING 192.168.0.227.

Pinging 192.168.0.227 [192.168.0.227] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.227:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

what im really stuck with is i can still use the point to access files, internet ets through (although presumably without security since i re-set it so only turn it on when i need it)

Is it possible a virus os similar has changed to IP address?

On the information label on the access point what is the IP address?

I can`t see an IP address on the lable, theres the MAC, SERIAL,
and AP name, along with an FCC ID and canada ID

Spark123 said:
On the information label on the access point what is the IP address?

The default is 192.168.0.227[/quote]

timtheenchanter said:
C:\Documents and Settings\Tim>PING 192.168.0.227.

Pinging 192.168.0.227 [192.168.0.227] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.227:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

what im really stuck with is i can still use the point to access files, internet ets through (although presumably without security since i re-set it so only turn it on when i need it)

Is it possible a virus os similar has changed to IP address?

A virus wouldn't have changed the access point ipaddress.

The result of the ping means either the address is wrong or you have some firewall software blocking it. Turn off ALL firewall software (Windows, Norton etc.). Of couse, the AP could be faulty or the cable is no good.

I assume the modem is USB? Disconnect that too for now.

If you want me to help remotely, email me. My address is in my profile

AH-HA, turned off firewall, and it let me in (somehow had windows firewall running as well as my other one) So got it sorted!
thanks for all the help guys!

Yes, a perfect example of a non-functioning/incorrectly configured software firewall. There's no reason to block addresses on the same subnet in this type of environment (IMHO ;) ).

You should have opted for a decent router instead and dispensed with the s/w firewall altogether.

I have noticed a few times the windows firewall on mine has turned itself on after a windows update too.

Sponsored Links
Back