Neutral and earth bar in a consumer unit

Sponsored Links
Explain why you think it should.
Becuase when the live or neutral touches the earth or a fault occurs to earth it will always flow to earth so it doesnt matter if the earth bar is just one whole bar because no
Matter what happens the fault will go to earth anyways? Is that correct?

For what reason are you asking these questions?

College, obviously.

Barnies, you really don't know anything about the behaviour of current flow, therefore you don't know how an RCD works. These are quite basic ideas that you should know. If you're struggling, don't ask us for the answers set for you. Research, the internet is full of information, and if you still can't find anything then give us an idea of what you do know and ask us to help fill in the blanks.

You won't get anywhere if you revert to asking others because you don't immediately know the answer.

Sponsored Links
If you're struggling, don't ask us for the answers set for you. Research, the internet is full of information, and if you still can't find anything then give us an idea of what you do know and ask us to help fill in the blanks.

You won't get anywhere if you revert to asking others because you don't immediately know the answer.

I totally disagree with this reply. This forum would be the first place I would come to to ask for clarification on anything. We have experts with more or less instant opinions or facts with knowledge of all the statutory and non-statutory documents available. Let's not lose the intention or vision of why this forum was created. Using this forum IS researching.

Small print: Apologies if barnies has been a pest in other threads but I just thought that needed saying.

I totally disagree with this reply. This forum would be the first place I would come to to ask for clarification on anything. We have experts with more or less instant opinions or facts with knowledge of all the statutory and non-statutory documents available. Let's not lose the intention or vision of why this forum was created. Using this forum IS researching.

Small print: Apologies if barnies has been a pest in other threads but I just thought that needed saying.

With most things your first paragraph is true. However, a quick look through Barnies' post history brings up things like this:

barnies said:
what would be best for wiring 2x 3kw heaters would it be better to wire a 20amp radial then use a fused spur for the heaters then?

barnies said:
Why is a mcb chosen higher than the current taking in a circuit say the circuit was pulling 18amps you would a 20amp breaker wouldnt this 20amp breaker not be to high to trip because the circuit is pulling 18amps which less than rating of the MCB? how does it work why are they chosen higher?

He seems to be "just thinking about" a lot of basic things, his previous question asking us to explain why we cross over the legs of a ring final circuit when testing it!

It's clear he's a trainee of some sort, if people are just going to give him answers instead of actually working things out for himself, he'll never properly learn the subject. It's like the recent thread on the 2391; it's fine going through the motions but unless you fully understand the reasons behind something then you'll never completely understand what you're doing, nor the reason for it.

My guess is he reads through the help given to him, takes bits in and rephrases it for his tutors to make it look like he knows what he's doing.

Harsh I know.

Explain why you think it should.
Becuase when the live or neutral touches the earth or a fault occurs to earth it will always flow to earth so it doesnt matter if the earth bar is just one whole bar because no
Matter what happens the fault will go to earth anyways? Is that correct?

Kind of, within reason, although how would you effectivly have two seperate earth terminals when they are common to each other, they have to be linked to one source or earth dont they? How would you propose there being two independant earth bars please and why would they be required??

Agreed but there is:
a) giving the answer with no explanation
b) guiding in the right direction so the learner realises the answer himself
c) saying "shut up, you are stupid" or "go away, I am busy".

The lad asked for help so he should be given it. We all start somewhere and we never stop learning. I think he got there in the end though, eh?

My favoured technique is b) btw :cool:

The thing is, as soon as you've learned the following:

1) What an RCD does
2) How it works, as in what it detects, not the detail of the internal mechanism, then the following should be immediately obvious.

A) Why the N bars nave to be split and paired with the corresponding L busbars

B) Why the earth bar doesn't have to be.

It shouldn't need thinking about, it shouldn't need analysing, it should be an instant "OK - got that, move on".

And if it isn't then I would seriously question the innate ability of the person concerned.

Barnies, find a college that will teach you using the correct terminology.

A big part of your problem in understanding is that you are referring to protective devices that became obsolete almost twenty years ago and you don't realise that neutral is, by definition, a live conductor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back