Neutral and earth bar in a consumer unit

Sponsored Links
Eh yea I do just want to know why the earth bar
Isn't split as well like? Please

If you tell me why you want to know and what you understand about RCDs I will help you !
Why i want to
Know is because I am just curious, and the rcd monitors
The live and neutral conductors if there is a imballance due to a short circuit it will trip.
Now can you help me?

So in the event of an imbalance, why does it matter which route the current takes to earth? Answer that and you won't be asking the question any more.

Sponsored Links
Why i want to
Know is because I am just curious, and the rcd monitors
The live and neutral conductors if there is a imballance due to a short circuit it will trip.

Now can you help me?
:LOL: :LOL:

Get back your your textbooks.

Good job I am feeling helpful. There is one Neutral bar for every RCD in the board as each set of circuit neutrals has to go through it's respective RCD. If the neutrals were all commoned up the current would not be equal through each RCD with respect to the Lines.
No 'load' current flows through the earth in a healthy circuit (apart from functional currents )

Draw it out - it will be a lot simpler than trying to word it !

Start with the assumption that you don't do something you don't need to. As yourself if there's any reason the earth bar should be split. If you can't think of one, it's probably because there's no need to do it.

Good job I am feeling helpful. There is one Neutral bar for every RCD in the board as each set of circuit neutrals has to go through it's respective RCD. If the neutrals were all commoned up the current would not be equal through each RCD with respect to the Lines.
No 'load' current flows through the earth in a healthy circuit (apart from functional currents )

Draw it out - it will be a lot simpler than trying to word it !
So when a fault occurs it doesn't matter when it flows to earth as that is
Where all faults go when a
Circuit is under fault conditions is that why
It's one bar?

The earth currents are not being monitored so do not need to be kept seperate
Ah right I see and when a fault occurs on either side of the rcd it always goes straight to earth, hence why it's just one whole bar yea??!?

To earth via the CPC, and subsequently the earth bar is one of the places the fault current could flow to.

To earth via the CPC, and subsequently the earth bar is one of the places the fault current could flow to.
Yea I know it's the place the fault current would flow If either live or neutral was to short out with earth, it would flow straight to earth and this is why the bar doesn't have to be split?!?

Plan B - give it up, barnies, you don't have what it takes, and the sooner you accept that the less time you'll waste trying to achieve something beyond your reach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back