Neutral wire to Futureproof?

Sponsored Links
Of course, we've been talking about '1-way' switching. If any of the switching is '2-way' then that in itself needs 3C+E

One of the wonderful things about having these ridiculously expensive dimmer modules is that is makes N-way switching a doddle - the dimmer has 2 switch terminals that need to be shorted to get it to do something, so you can have any number of switches on a 2C+e, in parallel. Note though that they'd need to be momentary, not toggle (but using toggle switches with most smart dimmer modules is a daft idea/substandard method of operation if they do support it)

Has anyone ever noticed 559.5.1.208?
For those of us who have misplaced* our big red, err green, err yellow, err skybluepinkwithyellowspots book - do I take it from following comments that it says something about considering future maintenance and alterations ?

It depends on the house I suppose; pretty sure in mine it'd be easier to GOP a hole in a plasterboard wall than it would to lift any of the glued-and-ringnailed-22mm-tng-8x2 flooring boards.
The joys of modern construction methods - fix one (IMO) non-problem and make the building a PITA to maintain for evermore :evil:

For those of us who have misplaced* our big red, err green, err yellow, err skybluepinkwithyellowspots book - do I take it from following comments that it says something about considering future maintenance and alterations ?
Spot on (but only specifically about neutrals) ....
559.5.1.208 said:
Consideration shall be given to the provision of the neutral conductor, at each switch position, to facilitate the installation of electronic switching devices.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Spot on (but only specifically about neutrals) ....
Well, that's one I've never seen or heard of before.
Struggling to think where on earth I put that darned book. We've recently moved, it was on my desk, I moved it to somewhere that wasn't in the way and you can guess the rest - I can't think where that out of the way was :whistle: It'll turn up when I'm not looking for it !

Well, that's one I've never seen or heard of before.
Nor had EFLI, who stumbled across it, nor myself (and I suspect nor most other people, either!)
Struggling to think where on earth I put that darned book. We've recently moved, it was on my desk, I moved it to somewhere that wasn't in the way and you can guess the rest - I can't think where that out of the way was :whistle:
Ah - I'm very familiar with that, so should be able to help you - I think you'll find that is is "in a safe place" :)

Kind Regards, John

Surely, then, it's within 6 inches of the horizontal or vertical axis of a socket?

(sorry)

Nor had EFLI, who stumbled across it, nor myself (and I suspect nor most other people, either!)
I see it's not in the red book*, so it's a relatively recent addition - understandable if people haven't come across it.

* It's rather an expensive book to buy every version for occasional DIY. Do they publish an official list of changes in each version, or are people supposed to find them ?

Ah - I'm very familiar with that, so should be able to help you - I think you'll find that is is "in a safe place" :)
Indeed it was. I started thinking back to "what was I doing when I moved it" ... and then I went and looked in the box of books I'd just put in the attic ... and there it was.

I see it's not in the red book*, so it's a relatively recent addition - understandable if people haven't come across it.
Indeed, and you can tell that by the format of the number ... I think that the "208" at the end means that it first appeared in Amd3 (Amd 2 was an odd one, which almost no-one noticed!)
* It's rather an expensive book to buy every version for occasional DIY. Do they publish an official list of changes in each version, or are people supposed to find them ?
Published as a (free or cheap) standalone document, you mean? If so, I don't think so.
Indeed it was. I started thinking back to "what was I doing when I moved it" ... and then I went and looked in the box of books I'd just put in the attic ... and there it was.
Well done. I'm glad that I was "right" :)

Kind Regards, John

No.

But they are supposed not to argue about topics because they haven't got the current version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back