Neutral wire to Futureproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m having building work done at the moment and will be having the first fix done next week.

Would it be reasonable to ask them to pull some neutrals in, leave them disconnected? Or connected if necessary?

I’d it can be done is it likely to incite significamt extra cost?

I would eventually like a couple of smart switches you see...and everything I’ve read suggests a neutral is required.

Also is there anything else I could ask them to do that might be required for emerging technology?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Just ask them to loop at the switch rather than to the light fitting. It’s a common way of wiring now - we always do it that way unless it’s a rewire and the customer wants to minimise mess

Yes the loop is where the main live and neutral throughout the whole circuit are daisy chained. Traditionally it was via the ceiling light as they needs both, but it's doable by the switch as well.

Sponsored Links
A bit of extra cable and a few more clips but nothing significant

And make sure they use 25mm deep switch boxes, rather than the standard 16mm.

If the walls will take it, specify 47mm ones.

Extra cost of removing a bit more wall at the time is peanuts, and it's better to have too much space than too little.

Has anyone ever noticed 559.5.1.208?
I must confess that, like you, I hadn't.

"Giving consideration" to having a neutral at switches seems to be what the OP is doing, so maybe he did read it :)

However, if the result of that consideration is a decision to have a neutral at light switches, I'm not sure that 'looping at the switch' is necessarily the best way to go. Whilst it facilitates electronic switches etc., it means that there is no permanent live at the rose/light, so someone wanting to extend the lighting circuit from there would not have an easy job.

The 'best of both worlds' would seem to be (as has been suggested), to loop at the rose/light and run 3C+E to the switches - or, alternatively, loop at the switches and run a 3C+E to each rose/light.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
The 'best of both worlds' would seem to be (as has been suggested), to loop at the rose/light and run 3C+E to the switches - or, alternatively, loop at the switches and run a 3C+E to each rose/light
That's fine with pendants but if you use this method you end up with JBs under the floor. It's never all that difficult to find a pL+N for a lighting circuit in the floor - which you'd almost certainly have to take up if you were extending the lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back