New 240v dbl sockets from existing existing socket supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing dbl socket in a 1st floor room that's been extended. The supply comes down the wall from the loft.

Is it feasable and safe for a sparx to use that supply for an additional 3 dbl sockets in that room?

It would a real pain to take the supply from below the floor in the room next door, there are floor joists up against each end wall fouling the easy route.

Sponsored Links
Probably, but a proper assessment of the cable capacity, where the cable is connected and the protective device for the circuit must be made first. It may be necessary to alter things elsewhere.

To start with, I will need some sort of circuit breaker. I still have an old fuse box with no trips, and it's in the bathrom. Time to call a qualified sparx...but I might be able to use that supply. Which would be a big plus.

It would depend on the socket circuit type and the rating of the cable.
If the circuit has been correctly installed with regards cable CSA, then it would be possible if a radial circuit. if the circuit is a ring final and this a unfused spur then you will not be able to add further sockets, unless the spur is fused at the intersection of the original ring final.

it is something that will require, someone who understands and can establish the circuit arrangement and type. You will also require RCD protection on at least the new sockets being installed and any newly buried cable, if RCD protection is not already present on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
If that is the case, the simple solution would be to fuse the spurred leg at the origins of feed socket, with a RCD/FCU unit. This will limit/restrict to the downstream socket to a maximum of 13A demand though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back