New 2nd floor layout with extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of putting an extension on the rear of my house 4.10 meters wide by 3 meters out. Here is the present layout with the extension added.

currentlayout.jpg

A few new plans

newlayout1.jpg

newlayout2.jpg

OK so ive got a few concerns, first off the blue line is a plasterboard wall but it has concrete beams the run from the rsj on the ground floor to the ceiling beams in the loft so i take it thats a supporting wall so if i take out some of the concrete beams i will have to build a frame with rsj's to take the weight. Also i will need to remove the chimney from the 2nd floor to the exit in the roof.

So just a few q's

Any problems with removing the chimney?

Is it possible to take out a few concrete beams and replace them with a rsj.

The house is a airey house just incase that changes anything, i will be getting a builder into do the work but i want to do my home work first to make sure he does it right.

Sponsored Links
create a corridor to the extension through your bathroom and pinch a bit of the existing back room for the bathroom, if that doesnt make sense what i am trying to say is to move the bathroom downwards on your top existing plan.

Room dimensions would be helpful, also positions of services

Think I would keep the bathroom in original position but make it bigger and then use the extended area next to the bedroom into an ensuite with walk-in wardrobe.

create a corridor to the extension through your bathroom and pinch a bit of the existing back room for the bathroom, if that doesnt make sense what i am trying to say is to move the bathroom downwards on your top existing plan.

Room dimensions would be helpful, also positions of services

Im trying to make the house into 3 bedrooms, the room sizes are

bedroom on the left of the plan 5m long by 3m wide
bedroom on the right of the plan 4m long by 3m wide
bathroom 2.50m by 2.50m

the extension (external) is 4.10m long by 3m wide

the long measurements are top to bottom of plan and wide are left to right.

the soil stack and incoming water is in the top right of the bathroom, this is not a problems as my trade makes it very easy for me to change this so id does sway me to keep the bathroom where it is

Sponsored Links
Think I would keep the bathroom in original position but make it bigger and then use the extended area next to the bedroom into an ensuite with walk-in wardrobe.

Where would the 3rd bedroom go?

my sugestion would allow for three bedrooms, a large front bedroom as is, a middle bedroom and then the back room, which will be the extension.

my sugestion would allow for three bedrooms, a large front bedroom as is, a middle bedroom and then the back room, which will be the extension.

Thanks ive worked out what you mean now just been looking at doing it that way, i would end up with the left bedroom staying same, a small bedroom (2.5m x 3m) then the new extension been a new bedroom, the passage would pass through the old right bedroom, the bathroom would stay untouched and would lose the only window.

Whats too small for a bedroom?? 2.3m x 2.95? 2.5m x 2.95?

Also whats better a house with:-

1 bedroom 4.6m x 2.95m
1 bedroom 2.5m x 2.95m
1 bedroom 2.9m x 3.7m (est ext 4m x 3m)
1 bathroom 2.13m x 1.81m

Or

1 bedroom 2.9m x 3.7m
1 bedroom 2.95mx 2.3m
1 bedroom 2.95mx 2.3m
1 bathroom 2.95m reducing to 1.9m x 4m

so 1 one has 3 bigger bedroom and small bathroom or 3 ok bedrooms and bigger bathroom, my personal thoughts are bathrooms and kitchens sell houses but are the bedrooms at 2.95m x 2.3m too small as there are 2 of them thats size?????

1john's idea

currentlayoutwithextension.jpg

Another layout but with 2 smaller bedrooms

newlayout2withmeasurements.jpg

Another the passage is harder to do on this ones as the suporting wall will need work

newlayout1withmeasurements.jpg

Not quite what i meant but near enough, the corridor should be above the bathroom, would flow better up the stairs IMO

Not quite what i meant but near enough, the corridor should be above the bathroom, would flow better up the stairs IMO

Yeah i know but the soil stack and incoming mains are in the top right corner of the bathroom so just made easier as the bathroom can be left untouched.

Got to weigh up the options now move or improve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back