New Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.
First post so please be gentle.
I have a Paragon E system. 1 PIR, sounder box outside. Thats it. It has been in the house for 20 years. And never touched and still works. Even with electric off to house. Just found out by searching tinterweb, it’s made by Pyronix or was taken over by them?
Would like to build a system that has the following
1. Voice dialler and texter.
But I cannot dial Mobile numbers from my Land-Line as my son took the p***, so banned mobile numbers.
Can I use a Sim Dialler, ie: some sort of dialler that has a mobile with aerial and all I have to do is put in a sim card of my choice?
or can I get the dialler to dial a number first (the mobile number unblocker) then dial my mobile?
would like texts as to when it is being set and unset-ie: see if my son is coming home in-between school hours 
Can change voice and text messages from dialler
2. PIRs 1 per room downstairs = 4
1 in each room upstairs = 4 or just 1 in hall way
1 in Loft Conversion
(are they affected by rapid heat changes like in loft conversion?)
3. Door contact breakers X2 (front and back door)
4. Keypad by front door (wired or wireless>?)
5. Key fobs ? Do I really need them (for’s and against..)
6. Want a self arming one at 23:00 at night, so even if I disarm it at 20:00 when I get home from work, it will arm itself if I forget. (Just zone1-downstairs)
7. 2 or 3 zones?
8. Can I add the garage as and when at later date? Not PIR as mice or rats? Or yes PIR
I have no idea!
9. Would like to be able to ring the alarm and find out status and reset through my mobile phone. Not bothered with talking to burglars, but maybe listen in would be handy
10. Inside really loud alarm? What Decibel? 108db?
11. One where if you are under duress and they ask my wife to deactivate the alarm, she puts in a different code and it will deactivate but send a voice message and text to my mobile saying a different message.(like occupant under duress in house)
12. Which Bell Box? How loud 108dcb max switch off after 20 mins ?

And which alarm Make would do all of this for me ?
Pyronix , Texecom, Scantronic or Gardtec or which other one?
Appriciate all feedback and suggestions.
I have around a week to fit it. (so NO rushing)
I am a returning electrician/electronic/mechanical engineer.
have done computers for the last 10 years, but bore me now, just do them for fun.
Yes I know of pros & cons of fitting myself, but will be looking forward to the ups/downs of an install.
Only bad thing is if panel is faulty, then will have to wait for a replacement, as won’t have a “spare” in car.

A few questions
6 communicator ports on a pyronix – what are these for?
2 programmable outputs I guess these are for fire and Emergency push button intruder?
Spanks

Sponsored Links
dont want much do you :LOL:

paragon panels were / are made by pyronix

you do not need fobs

remember the less is more.

why bother with pir in each room, cost more, more cabling, more to go wrong

you have little choice in external sounder db, since its ilegal to go above i think its 98 db, think of the neighbours

i only know of one true wireless key pad, but what do you do when its battery goes flat? :LOL:

you have to have the keypad that works with the chosen panel

i would not bother with the txt at set / unset, it will soon P** you off, you can always give your son his own code and check the log

self arming , i know a few that can do that, but whats the point? (i have seen several in jewish houses that really do set on a friday night, i never belived it the first time i saw one)

suppose you are watching tv and alarm sets, not that good is it. Not jewish are you? (in which case you wont be watching tv that late)

suppose you do get a txt saying duress code used, what are you going to do about it? (be honest)

you can get a standalone microphone system that you can dial in and listen, but again whats the point, nothing you can do, alarm companies use it to veryfy some one on site, then being as its an alarm co, they police it, you cant.

communicator ports are low current outputs to activate remote signalling

as i said keep it simple, it will be easier to install and look after and cause less grief.

9. Would like to be able to ring the alarm and find out status and reset through my mobile phone. Not bothered with talking to burglars, but maybe listen in would be handy

AFAIK most alarms only allow you to listen in if the system is in 'alarm' state, so that you are not infringing on any bodies human rights to privacy.

following on from above, i forgot to mention, you have to have a bell delay, otherwise you cant hear anything other than the alarm going off, which defeats the object if it is bells only.

another reason to not have it

mind you if you want to go the whole hog

you may want a smoke cloak (genuine footage)

cant see it cant pinch it

Sponsored Links
Nice one, spanks for the quick replys.
so get:
1 alarm panel (will put it up in loft, so no-one can fiddle with it)
6 PIRs (4 downstairs, dining, sitting, kitchen and hall) )1 in upstairs hallway) 1 in Loft conversion)
2 door contacts: 1 front, 1 back Door.
2 keypads, 1 wired downstairs, 1 wireless up stairs. (maybe wired if its anywhere near the PIR)
1 Emergency Button by front door.
1 voice dialler
still want the one where it rings me, so I can get Family to check up on house, and if it has been broken into get police out quicker.
(all this has made me want to get it quicker: bro&sis-in-law came back from holiday on thursday around 4pm, to find house trashed, 13K worth nicked. took police 2.5 hours to come, and 3 days for SOCO to come.)
thinking of Texecom now as it has a lot of nice features, but which panel ?? there are a few to choose from, which would you choose and why?

Like the smoke cloak, we had that fitted in a place we used to work in, Apple reseller, we all used to sh*t ourselves when the alarm went off, which was often, as mice chewed through cables every night, went on for 6 weeks ffs! until we had someone in and gassed the whole building, i reckon they will get back in now, anyway, good, cos the boss was a t**t.

and yes I am jewish, what is the problem with that? do you think we are strange because we do things differently to other people? that's not very mature is it?
Think it would be better Breezer if you answered posts with a bit of class rather than being an ass.
people just want information, not to be slated for whatever their religion is.
would it not be better to reply with good and honest ideas, rather than good idea, bit of dark ages religious hatred, and some other honest answers?
Just trying to help you Breezer, dont be a racist, its not big and not clever.
If I was to say, haha, I had to order extra alarm wire because this chinese woman was soo small I had to put her keypad lower to the floor, or I couldnt use the biometric finger scanner in bradfords job center entrance as no F***er would use it. It makes me sound like a complete a**hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back