new b & q kitchen help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just had my new b & q kitchen delivered, ive built all the units up, now im stuck.. my problem is i have a 100mm duct hole in the wall where my extractor hood used to be, everything is going back to the design it was in the old kitchen, so i got to get it right so the extractor fits back in.....
any idea where i can start from here???? thanks

Sponsored Links
When fitting kitchens, it's usual to start from one corner. Level the units up as you go along. Assuming your units are the same size as the ones that came out, you shouldn't have too many problems.
You may well be able to compromise and start from the centre line of the extractor hole and work both ways. Probably a 600mm unit will be going below where the old extractor was ?

yes its was a 600 theres a 6oo bridging unit going above it..... ive got 910 from the floor to the top of worktop, what would the measurement be from top of worktop to underside of wall unit? gonna have to mark it all out first to see if it works out..

also what size plugs and screws would you use for the wall unit brackets?

it depends on the construction type your wall is,
when i do kitchens i tend to use either 2 1/2 10s" or 3" 10s with brown plugs.

Sponsored Links
Usually, wall units are about 540mm above the worktop, but,,,,,,,, MI's for the hob dictate the height here. Gas hob or electric?

Cheers.

ok wall units are up now thanks, my next issue my walls are not flat. ive got a 300 and a 1000 side by side and the 300 sticks out furthewr than the 1000 so got to pull it out at the bottom and screw them together level. now from the underside the 1000 unit is about 10mm off the wall, do i fill the gap if so what with? its the same on the other wall with some of the other units. thanks.

I usually put one wall unit up without tightening it back to the wall too much (making sure it's level and plumb. The next wall unit is put up and clamped to the first one, drilled and screwed through to it. Carry on with the wall units to the end of the run. If the walls are out excessively, you can try to even the gap between top and bottom. Usually the only place it's really noticeable is at the end of the run. I like to caulk the end of each run anyway.
If the walls are quite a lot out, then the end units can be scribed to the wall, but then you have to cut the inner units down a bit at the back to accommodate for the walls being out.
Personally, I much prefer to put up 2 x 500mm units in preference to 1 x 1000mm. I find the 1000mm units tend to start bowing downwards once stuff is put inside, but each to their own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back