New back door - Part L U-Values - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my back door and am struggling with the requirements of the Part L (Conservation of Fuel & Power) regs and finding a compliant door.

I have found the door I want which seems to be a mass produced unit sold by a number of door suppliers, but does not actually have a rating.
Having spoken to two suppliers and queried this they said the door didn't need to be rated as it had less than 50% glass!

Under the 2006 regs (I got my notice in before Oct 2010!) a replacement exterior door with less than 50% glass in an existing dwelling needs to have a U-Value of 3.0 or less. This has been confirmed by my BCO .

How can it be that a mass produced door (as well as others I have looked at) doesn't comply. Do enough people just fit them and don't worry about the regs? I really like this particular door but can't install it if it doesn't comply.

Any help/insight into this would be grately appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ignore this poxy legislation

Heat is not going to be flying out the door unless you leave it open, and a compliant door is going to have nil effect on your carbon footprint or the world in general

You are quite right to notice that the sheds and merchants are full of timber and glazed front doors, so somebody must still be fitting them

Problem is I am having the rest of the house signed off and it will be noticed if it doesn't comply.

The regs do say that you need not comply if you are only replacing the door and not the frame. I might tidy up the old frame anf try to get around it this way, although not ideal as the old frame is pretty shot.

Cheers

Your door supplier is correct. There is no need to know the U-value of a timber frame with solid door. BRE 443 allows you to assume the door has a U-value of 3.0W/m²K and therefore it does comply. Your BCO should know that.

Sponsored Links
Your door supplier is correct. There is no need to know the U-value of a timber frame with solid door. BRE 443 allows you to assume the door has a U-value of 3.0W/m²K and therefore it does comply. Your BCO should know that.

Cheers, that's really helpful.

I never realised this "exemption" but I was glancing through the screwfix catalogue tonight and saw a door with a U-value 5.4W/m²K but stating BRegs compliant :eek: . Sommat not right there I thought. Then spec as follows:-

Cumbria White Double Glazed Aluminium Back Door L x H 762 x 1981mm Building regulations compliant BS 6206 Class A. :confused:(No mention of L)

10 year manufacturer's guarantee.
18mm Opaque Toughened Safety Glass
No Painting Required
Will not Rust, Rot or Warp
18mm Reinforced PVCu Bottom Panel
Pre-Hung in Aluminium Frame for Simple Installation
Polyester Powder-Coated Aluminium
5 Lever Lock to BS 3621
Suitable for Existing or New Timber Sub-Frame
Timber Sub-Frame Required
(What's with the timber sub frame I thought the doors PVCu :confused: )

Then jeds' post has explained it all re BRE. Ruddy maddness though aint it :LOL: .

Barking Bonkers Mad :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back