New bathroom DIY !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sharing my bathroom project which is now in the closing stages. Forums such as these and a series of YouTube videos has often given me the confidence and know how to take on jobs which otherwise I would ot have known where to start, hopefully this mey help someone else of the same mind set...

Having moved in 2018 a new bathroom was always on my list. Although it had been done 2 or 3 years ago by the previous owners I hated it. The wc was still separate and it had clearly been done as a quick budget upgrade to help sell.

I have done an ensuite upgrade before but that was much more straight forward in comparison. Added condition for this was the shower needed to be kept useable throughout as no other alternatives.

Step one was taking the wc wall down and also taking back a corner from a bedroom cupboard. Dusty as hell but lightweight blocks came out without too much resistance
20190901_145833.jpg
The shower in the bath was moved from where the wall used to be to temp location at the opposite end with a few tiles to cover up a bit of the window behind the new shower. Easy peasy so far.

Stud wall put in place of the former door to bathroom and where cupboard had been removed. Ceiling patched up where walls once were.

Tile boards put around new bath location, new bath in (opposite the existing bath), plumbing re routed, tiles up around the new bath. Hardest bit was getting a waste to the new bath. The existing was a total bodge with no drop. Had to open up the boxing to the down pipe, lower it as far as possible and after much agro get the required bits lined up and pipes in place.

At this point the new bath was good to use, shower moved across and the old bath could be taken out. New rad put in new position and all plumbing lined up for the new sink location and toilet.

With all sub floor work done new floorboards secured. Next I boarded the wall where the bath used to be, 2 big sheets of plasterboard to level up the whole wall, taped and jointed in.

Waste boxing tidied up, click flooring laid, new double sink and toilet plumbed in. End in site.

Tiles above sink with made to measure mirror. Walls painted and finishing touches added. Got a sparky mate to sort the lights out now just need to give the ceiling a few coats of paint.

Just one bad moment when a rejigged connection to the old bath taps pinged off which soaked the plasterboard ceiling below (luckily that room was already on the decorating list).

Looked at getting a plasterer for the wall I ended up boarding and a quote for laying luxury vinyl tiles. Both way more than I ever expected and think I'm happy that my diy effort is passable !!

Not the easiest to capture in photos due to the shape and size but here it is...

20191222_194624.jpg

20191222_194532.jpg

20191222_194704.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well done mate, radiator isn’t to my taste but perhaps there weren’t a huge number of options when fitting under the window.
You should be proud, it looks fantastic. What a difference!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back