New bathroom shower tray not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, newbie to this site so hear goes with the first post -

Had a new bathroom fitted recently and tried out the shower a couple of weeks ago to find that water was accumilating in the corner of the shower, adjacent to two walls. The water would stay for days if not cleared and even sat on the top rim of the shower tray, touching the silicone between the shower tray and the wall.

I got my spirit level out to find that the shower tray was not installed level and the tiling above the shower tray, up to the ceiling was also not level and so when you look up to the ceiling the tiles are sloping.

When I spoke to my builder about this he said that the floor was not level but I am having touble accepting this as an excuse as in my opinion there could have been other steps taken to ensure the shower tray was level in the first place.

What do others think about this and:

1) Should I insist he level the shower tray?
2) Should I also insist he re-tile as the tiles are not level to the ceiling?

Any thoughts welcome...

Sam

Sponsored Links
I think this job will come back to haunt you in the future if something isn't done.....its very much an amateur thing not to perfectly level the shower tray and then tile from there.
I'd certainly have a meeting with him and judge his opinion and atitude towards his work - spirit level at your side!
John :)

As has already been said, it is very amateurish. You are well within your rights to get him back to sort it out. Don't let him fob you off about an unlevel floor, that's no reason for him to install the tray unlevel. This is a very easy problem to overcome. If the tray dosent have legs (which I'm guessing it doesn't if the floor was his excuse) then packing out under the tray to make it level is simple for a proffesional/competant diy'er.

Sounds a bit of a bodge job, one could have accepted a slight inclination towards the waste outlet to ensure water ran away, but then the tiles should have compensated for that and the courses been levelled up accordingly,

I have found with tiling that when one gets to the ceiling course, the ceiling boarding may not be true, I tend to use the Plastic Tile edging these days it helps to take out the slight differences in the levels

Sponsored Links
Shower trays have a built in inclination to the waste, the edges should be level.

BOOOOODGE!!! Get him back to rip it out and start again, tiling included. You might find this difficult if you've paid him though...

Too right you call him back. It's easy to get a shower tray level on boards, that's one of the reasons why they're often laid on mortar (the other beingt of provide full support for the base).

If this builder was building a house on a hill, would he just follow the contours of that too? Of course not!!

Hardly ever get a level floor, one of the joys of fitting a shower tray. The builder should have levelled the tray and the tiles. Why not print out these comments and show them to him.

Surrey - the badlands where the Cowboys roam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back