New Block paved drive - no visible haunches on side - is that ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After some advice as I'm a little concerned (but possibly for no reason).

Myself and neighbour just had our driveways done at the same time and, whilst everything looks ok for the most part (to the untrained eye), after looking again I'm concerned that perhaps the edging of the driveways isnt as secure as it should be.

The front has thin concrete edging which is fine and what I've seen elsewhere. But the sides don't seem to have anything to hold them in place and worried they'll move out of place over time, once I start driving over it. Appreciate there's little space between the blocks and the fence (moreso my side than my neighbours).

Am I worrying about nothing or is there a better way this could have been done.

Edit: I, for some reason, decided to poke what looks like sand on the edges and it turns out it's hardened. Thinking there is cement under there and the sand was just brushed over the top. Maybe less of a concern, but is that how it's usually done?

My side:
20230809_194821.jpg

Neighbours side:
IMG-20230809-WA0061.jpg

The front
20230809_195515.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They should be bedded in and haunched to prevent lateral spread. You are correct in your concerns.

I've just checked and what looks like sand is actually hardened, thinking there's cement mixed in there which is a bit better I think.. still not sure if it would be considered best practice ...

We'd have laid an edging kerb in front of that picket fence, so that you have separation from the drive, when it inevitably rots.

Sponsored Links
We'd have laid an edging kerb in front of that picket fence, so that you have separation from the drive, when it inevitably rots.
Uglee IMO.

There'd still be a gap behind them which then couldn't be filled and would become a weed magnet.

Dyed concrete would be better, as the gap needs filling.

Uglee IMO.

There'd still be a gap behind them which then couldn't be filled and would become a weed magnet.

Dyed concrete would be better, as the gap needs filling.
I was thinking, if the concrete on the side is sufficient to hold it, to just fill it with stones similar to my neighbour so there's a bit of consistency... Or would dyed concrete be better in that gap to add strength?

Neighbours side:
20230809_194810.jpg

I'm thinking there maybe wasn't enough space for that? That said, I guess if he made the drive a little narrower then there could be perhaps.

I wouldnt worry I mean how close to the fence are you actually thinking of parking. Assuming you leave a gap to open a door im sure you be far enough away. Out of interest dont you have to install a front drain along the edge of the pavement? Where I leave you wont get a pavement crossover or dropped kerb planning if you dont capture water runoff from driveway beforehand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back