New boiler and flue, and some basic pipework - quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, a newbie here.

Just bought a house, and the existing boiler in the garage is defunct.

I will have to get a new boiler and mount it in the bathroom, requiring a new flue to be installed and the boiler connected to the existing CH and DHW system (which is currently a vented system and will need to be converted to a sealed system). The gas supply to the boiler will also have to be rerouted.

The new boiler will be about 12 feet away from the old one's location, with the old pipe-run being only a few feet away. I'm prepared to strip out the old cylinder myself.

The new boiler will have to be 28kw, and the whole system will need flushing.

I've been quoted £3800 and £3600 and advised that the work will take 3-4 days. Its probably difficult to assess these quotes simply from the above info, but they seem very high to me.

Can anyone offer me some sort of perspective?

(Incidentally, I'm a professional cabinet-maker and will be happy to contribute my expertise to any who need it).

Sponsored Links
i work for bg and that sound expensive to me. bare in mind i dont do install but 3-4 days sounds 3-4 times too long for a straight swap.

as to keep all the scrap copper too.. :LOL:

Thanks Gavinda. Nearly 1K a day sounds expensive to me too!

P'raps I should try BG!

Already got me eye on the copper :LOL: !

Price seems very high, would expect to be on the job minimum of 2 days tho. A good power flush takes a day, upgrading of gas pipe, trvs on rads and all the other small bits. Careful of anyone claiming to do it in a day!

Sponsored Links
If you have two independent assessments and they both say 3-4 days and both are within 10% in cost, why do doubt them? Do you imagine collusion between them, did they have similar facial features and webbed feet?

If you get BG in, expect limited product choice, a teenage salesman, and another £1000 on the job.

I can't quote for a job on the internet because it will be inaccurate; as far as I know other tradesmen on here giving price advice never roll up and install for the money they say it could be done for. In other words, by all means listen to the 'overpriced' comments but it will get you nowhere.

The only pricing you can rely upon is from those who've seen the job. People who have so far collectively invested around 4 hours of their time in you, for free.

As this includes, from what I can tell, a new un-vented HW cylinder and fitting, I do not feel it is too far out.

If you are seriously contemplating employing someone to do this work who claims they can do it in a day then you are a brave man.
Have a think about how much work it actually involves.

As this includes, from what I can tell, a new un-vented HW cylinder and fitting, I do not feel it is too far out.
seems like just o/v to sealed ranther than unvented... probly just a crappy old jacket cylinder.

Looks to me they saw you coming down west we would pay about fifteen hundre to two thousand for new boiler and approx 5 to 7 rads shop aruond a bit first or offer a free holiday to a west country plumber good idea

i work for bg and that sound expensive to me. bare in mind i dont do install but 3-4 days sounds 3-4 times too long for a straight swap.

Its not a straight swap if the old one is in the garage and the new one in the bathroom. Or it the old one is open vent and the new on sealed system.
Ie. there will be no gas or electricity in the bathroom. And you can't tell from the post what destruction and making good this will require. Not enough info. I think asking on here for a quote is chrystal ball stuff. However I am not a RGI or an electrician, both of which would need some input being a bathroom (zones etc.) And maybe a joiner, builder, roofer (flue), decorator and a nice old lady to make the tea. None of these come cheap.

PS why not install a new boiler in the garage? I would think anyone coming to give you a quote will have to build in £££'s to cover unforseens.

Hi,

What make boiler were you quoted?

Is the cylinder being replaced, if so what size?

Is the flue going out the wall or vertically?

How far away is the gas meter and what route would it take e.g internal/external, surface or underfloor?

What controls have been quoted for?

That may help gauge how much work is required.

Sounds more like 2-3 days work to me.

As for down here in the south west getting it done for £1500-£2000, thats rubbish. A few around here offer a wrocester junior 24 with 6 rads for that money, but juniors are cheap tosh and new combi install's are often less work than upgrading an S or Y plan anyway. so not really comparable.

HTH Sam

Far too many internet pricing experts on here for my liking! Why not save all the bother and pop on down to the said house and come up with a nice figure for the tinker tailor cabinet maker guy!! Just get more quotes and stop pestering on here for stupid pricing experiments! Why on earth would 2 firms be within a cpl o hundred squids?? Not much being said bout the type of system etc etc blah blah blah ... nuff said now and stepping down from the soap box!! How much does a cabinet cost by the way????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saw this on rogue customers,

seems to be becoming the norm when it comes to peoles expectations these days.

but this is a warning against these customers.

Always want to barter on price.
Will not pay the bill.
Want to pick your brains on how to do the job with no intention of giving you the contract.
Disputes extras - wants extras but will not under any circumstances want to pay for them.
Pedantic and is a nit picker.
Had no intention of paying anyway.
Cheque bounced.
Say we damaged property, will not pay.
Compensation seeking vultures - will find anything not to pay and want you to pay them.
Never ever happy.
Can never decide what they like and as such you are never right.
Spy for another company.
Threatens you with trading standards or other agencies.

still waiting for the price of a cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saw this on rogue customers,

seems to be becoming the norm when it comes to peoples expectations these days.

but this is a warning against these customers.

Always want to barter on price.
Will not pay the bill.
Want to pick your brains on how to do the job with no intention of giving you the contract.
Disputes extras - wants extras but will not under any circumstances want to pay for them.
Pedantic and is a nit picker.
Had no intention of paying anyway.
Cheque bounced.
Say we damaged property, will not pay.
Compensation seeking vultures - will find anything not to pay and want you to pay them.
Never ever happy.
Can never decide what they like and as such you are never right.
Spy for another company.
Threatens you with trading standards or other agencies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back