New boiler and flue, and some basic pipework - quote?

Oh dear,
WDIK. I saw your post the first time. Which I did find quite amusing. However you may be missing a customers point of view.
They may have been stung by unscrupulous traders more than once before. I have. I once had a plumber come to my house to quote to replace 10 radiator valves. He requested to see my boiler (strange). I then had no heating or hot water after he left. If I had been an old dear, I might not have realised he had turned down the heating and HW temps down to zero. Also some trader will give a rock bottom (or not rock bottom) price and then leave a very poor job with a lot of damage to property which was not expected or explained beforehand. I am not saying that anyone on this forum would stoop to such levels to inflate a job as they, in the most seem to enjoy there chosen career enough to spend there free time giving sound advice on a subject that inevitably will rob themselves of some income. But they do exist. I think spying for another company is a little bit paranoid. :D

Haralian, chill before you pop your PRV :D . I already explained to the OP (in a slightly less direct manner) why he was asking to much. I did like the how much for a random sized, random materials and random finish cabinet question though. Go on post it in carpentry for a laugh. But you can't chastise some one for not under standing how to ask an accurate question about something which I not his/her game. Would your response be the same if you suspected the OP to be a young lady. I think not.

OP. Change your name to "Object of desire" and repost. :D Its true. I have read plenty of post from ladys and they go like this.
1. Sensible well asked question. Very long reply, spot on advice. (Problem unreasonable question)
2. Impossible question. Very polite "please supply more info" with pointers (sambotc) :D . Or If you PM me I will come and give a free / fair quote or help for a cup of tea. :eek: (no offers yet)

This is why I like this place. :D

Sponsored Links
this guys not a customer nor will he ever be, he's a typical chancer who thinks that via the internet his world his his oyster.

he doesnt need to ensure the job is done correctly, he can do it himself, and his families health doesnt matter so long as he retains his pride and undercut the system.

WDIK. I sort of agree. How can people on a forum quote a job without seeing it. Unless its "I need someone to supply and fit a 60w filament light bulb. The ceiling is 8' high and I live at 18 fairy street, Plocturn on ground floor.

HowlinMILF. I will sort it for a hot coffee :LOL: (sorry could not resist)
I am a diy man. All the advice I can offer is-
1.For a job of this size get 2-3 quotes.
2.Check they are Corgi.
3.Choose a compromise between price and your impression of the Profesional.
4.Get it done safely. Ie do not diy GAS, Flues or new electrical circuits.
5.Is the garage not the best place for a new boiler anyway. This WILL save money.

Can anyone offer me some sort of perspective?
Plato said:
Thus every sort of confusion is revealed within us; and this is that weakness of the human mind on which the art of conjuring and of deceiving by light and shadow and other ingenious devices imposes, having an effect upon us like magic.

"And the arts of measuring and numbering and weighing come to the rescue of the human understanding-there is the beauty of them --and the apparent greater or less, or more or heavier, no longer have the mastery over us, but give way before calculation and measure and weight?"

Sponsored Links
"And the arts of measuring and numbering and weighing come to the rescue of the human understanding-there is the beauty of them --and the apparent greater or less, or more or heavier, no longer have the mastery over us, but give way before calculation and measure and weight?"

Plato, was a very good RGI

Can anyone offer me some sort of perspective?
Plato said:
Thus every sort of confusion is revealed within us; and this is that weakness of the human mind on which the art of conjuring and of deceiving by light and shadow and other ingenious devices imposes, having an effect upon us like magic.

I do like it when I find that someone reads the same brain bursting stuff that I do. :LOL:

1.For a job of this size get 2-3 quotes.
No.

No no no.

No no no no no.

2.Check they are Corgi.
"CORGI" is about to ousted in favour of "Capita", which is why it's best to use the correct term "RGI". ;)

Softus, If the guy is about to spend £3600 why not get 2-3 quotes. If it is 3-4 days work would you not be happy give a 30min quote?
Yep RGI sorry, read this briefly on an email at work. Is it a re-brand or a change of controlling body.

Softus, If the guy is about to spend £3600 why not get 2-3 quotes.
In brief (because I've gone on at length on other topics):

1. It pushes up prices.
2. It doesn't give any confidence that the job will be done right.
3. It doesn't generate value, which is a blight on our GDP.

If it is 3-4 days work would you not be happy give a 30min quote?
Personally? Nope - I don't give quotes.

Yep RGI sorry, read this briefly on an email at work. Is it a re-brand or a change of controlling body.
The latter. And I would say "registering", not "controlling", but then I'm a pedant.

Softus, If the guy is about to spend £3600 why not get 2-3 quotes.
In brief (because I've gone on at length on other topics):

1. It pushes up prices.
2. It doesn't give any confidence that the job will be done right.
3. It doesn't generate value, which is a blight on our GDP.

If it is 3-4 days work would you not be happy give a 30min quote?
Personally? Nope - I don't give quotes.

The latter. And I would say "registering", not "controlling", but then I'm a pedant.

Softus, Please explain you answers to question 1.
How does it put up prices (the customer is looking for value for money)
No it does not give confidence. But how does a high price)

I have already said ", Choose a compromise between price and your impression of the Profesional."

So do you just say it will cost what it costs and I will bill you when its done?

Please explain GPD. I am not an RGI. or politician.
Thankyou for not being too pedantic (my mistake).

Softus, Please explain you answers to question 1.
How does it put up prices (the customer is looking for value for money)
The act of quoting costs time and fuel - the customer pays for these.
If you get three quotes, then you pay for three lots of time and three lots of fuel.

No it does not give confidence. But how does a high price)

I have already said ", Choose a compromise between price and your impression of the Profesional."
And I say get one estimate from one tradesperson/company that you trust.

So do you just say it will cost what it costs and I will bill you when its done?
Correct. Sometimes people like an estimate first, so that they can budget, which I'm happy to do. If someone wants a quote to compare with other quotes, then I decline. If someone wants a quote for insurance purposes, then I charge for it.

Please explain GPD.
Apologies; I meant GNP == Gross National Product - the thing that the government, at our behest, has permitted to become increasingly more f***ed up over the last 30 years, and is now completely f***ed.

Just off to slit my wrists now!!!! Does anyone not know the ptice of a good cabinet then?? Or a nice sharp blade for the right wrist!!!!!!

Softus,
I agree, "quoting costs time and fuel - the customer pays for these". Yes they do overall, The cost of the failed quotes is payed for by the successful quotes. But because you disagreed with 2-3 quotes you are saying get only 1. If a customer gets 2 quotes, you should on average get half the work you quote for and for a job of this size I would be happy to pay your time for 1 of your failed quotes. As getting 2 would enable me to weed out the possible ridiculous first quote (way to high or way to cheep).

"And I say get one estimate from one tradesperson/company that you trust. "
A lot of people do not know such a person and resort to the internet asking imposable questions. ;)

HARALIAN,
Don't do it there is more to life than cabinets....

PS Wait till the OP reads what has happened to his thread in his absence.
:D

I can make you a cabinet out of pallets for fifty quid (two hours to knock it up).

Or a fine craftsmen made oak one with proper joints and assembley methods for about £3600 - £3800.
One will drop to bits in a few weeks and the other will last ten to fifteen years.
Take your pick.

Do you think people get what I mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back