New boiler. Atmos Multi 24/80 Plus opinions ?

If your In Northants bear in mind that the importers Skaino Atmos are based in Daventry. If you ring them up and ask for Andrew Hunt he will probably give you the full demo if you tell him Razor sent you ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi there, new to this but so utterley incensed by Atmos that I joined just to warn people.

Had Atmos combi-boiler rammed down our throats 'oh its so efficient blah blah blah' and opted to follow the advice of the professional. That was just over three years.

Since then we have had nothing but trouble with the boiler. It has taken us two years to find another installer local to us (when it had its first breakdown they had to travel all the way to Yorkshire). This installer also agrees that they are absolutely awful boilers. However, if you want efficiency they are apparently wonderful, the key is, when they work they are wonderful. Ours has spent an awful lot of time not working. This part goes, that part goes. The water pressure is this that and the other. As soon as one part is changed we can literally count down to the next 'breakdown' it will have.
At one point it had a mind of its own and would only give hot water briefly, then it was down tools and head for hot shower whilst possible.
I have also woken up to a boiling house and then not being able to get the heating on through the day and evening when needed, nope it came on in the middle of the night. Yes the thermostat and settings were correct. It could not be over ridden and for a time the boiler was dictating our lives.

We tried insuring it for breakdown cover through British Gas when it became apparent that servicing was not going to be easy. British Gas would not insure it because they did not know how to repair it.

We have spent hundreds on repair, had we that money as a lump sum it would have been better to rip the thing out and start again.

As for repairs. I am a single mum, I have had no heating or hot water for six weeks. Three of those because I didnt have the money at hand to pay for the repairs. When I did call the ONE plumber in the area who can fix them, he told me the heat sensors had gone and he needed to order the parts. Atmos are rubbish with spare parts. Previously it took them two weeks and true as Bob it has taken them almost another two weeks to get these parts out. My plumber is almost as unhappy as me, he is quite embarassed.

Atmos have promised faithfully the parts will arrive today. Expected before ten am we are currently 11.20am. I'm hopeful for small crumbs at this point.

I am dreading the winter months and what this heap of junk will throw my way when it is cold. I've done winter weeks with out it before and it is horrendous.

Atmos; product is truly problematic and the service, repair support is a joke.

But hey, its certainly efficient. (I've saved hundreds simply because its turned off most of the time waiting for new parts).

It's a shame you're dissatisfied but 'this part goes, that part goes' is not specific enough. The boiler, for example, has no control over water pressure which is one of the complaints. Furthermore boilers don't have 'a mind of their own'. There must be other reasons for the faults. Unfortunately as Atmos appear to have inadequate back-up locally you're left to draw your own conclusions.

Sponsored Links
So what Atmos model do u have nosierosey ? is it the Multi ?? as I understand it Atmos use a service partner type of set up for in warranty stuff ? ( maybe ?)

Its unfortunately somewhat common for a very few plumbers to take advantage of females particularly if they seem unable to understand the technicalities.

More likely though that it was just a lack of understanding of some functions of an unfamiliar boiler model.

Unfortunately the lack of detail and even the boiler model makes it impossible for us to make any observations. Suffice to say the installer should guarantee his work for at least a year and most boilers are guaranteed for at leat three years!

Tony

wow...i feel for you!....i know you dont want to hear it but you wouldnt have had these probs with worcester bosch or vaillant!

many experts! on here advocate these little known boiler manufacturers ...i really dont know why!

The product is largely untested largely unreliable but unvariably cheap!

and the after sales service is carp!

Atmos sell a version of the intergas boiler , manufactured by intergas , cheap it is not , reliability ?? who knows although as I understand it intergas/ atmos have never had a failed heat exc , unlike worcrestor maybe ?

Cheap ?? I beleive Vaillant now own Heatline ?? the monza being sold in B&Q

wow...i feel for you!....i know you dont want to hear it but you wouldnt have had these probs with worcester bosch or vaillant!

many experts! on here advocate these little known boiler manufacturers ...i really dont know why!

The product is largely untested largely unreliable but unvariably cheap!

and the after sales service is carp!

When I first started on the tools exactly the same argument was being made against, not for, Vaillant & Worcester.

Its such a pity that we never get the full technical details of these alleged unreliable boilers so that we can reach an informed enginnering judgement.

To the user dirt in the system is equally a boiler fault as a failed PCB.

Tony

Just to aswer some queries.

Compact Gas Boiler N30K.

I havent always been single and most of the problems happened when my ex-husband was living in this house. I also told him 'it cant have a mind of its own'. Low and behold when I moved in it jolly well did.

The Atmos trained plumber has been a life saver (he has been out when my ex husband lived here too). He couldnt believe the age of the boiler.

When talking to Atmos (the plumber was not happy with them) they told him 'ahh well we dont do that boiler anymore'. Great, so they have realised there must be faults with it but still charge for parts knowing full well we have had nothing but trouble with the boiler.

No I can not tell you every technical thing because I was hoping to just have a boiler that worked and did not expect to have to learn quite so much about them.

It is working wonderfully at the moment. I will be back as soon as it plays up again.

Half the problem is the difficulty in getting parts, in real life terms, every extra day without hot water or heating is horrendous. They had a plan to give service guys an extra kit so that they could replace extra parts almost immediately, then re order the part used. Brilliant idea. Not been done and therefore left to the customer care and spares mercy.

That's my experience and Im sharing it simply because of their outstanding lack of customer care.

N30 K seems it is made by a dutch company called Coopra , imported / ditributed by Atmos , some of the electronics seem a bit pricey ??

Although Im not qualified to comment on their prices my plumber did say they were expensive.

Oh and the sensors did arrive in the afternoon. Although my plumber had been phoning quite often they sent them out for an afternoon delivery opposed to a morning delivery, when the plumber asked the difference they told him £10.

I believe Vaillant now own Heatline ??
From Heatline's website:

Company is registered in England number: 294316
Heatline is a trademark of The Vaillant Group. Registered in England at Nottingham Road, Belper, Derbyshire, DE56 1JT

A search on the company number leads to Vaillant Group UK Ltd!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back